What is the recuperation time after neck lift? (Photo)

Would like the least invasive procedure available to improve the appearance of my neck.

Expect 3 week recovery time after neck and lower facelift

+1
Thank you for your picture.  Although neck laxity and banding is the most obvious feature on your photographs, a neck only lift will not address the jowling and laxity in the lower face.

Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, very experienced in neck in facelift surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.  Ask the surgeon if a neck lift only will give you the result you wish but based on your photograph at least a combination neck and lower facelift will give you the best result.

Expect 3 weeks for swelling and bruising to go away.  However I tell patients that they should not plan an important social event such as a wetting or a photographic succession for at least 6 weeks.  It takes 6 weeks for you to begin to forget that you've had a surgical procedure.

Recovery time after neck lift

+1
Recovery after necklift surgery depends on the procedure performed.

For patients who have a slight amount of banding, a simple mid-line platysmaplasty procedure can be used. This entails a small incision under the chin and the muscle is tightened in the middle. If minimal banding is present but significant fat and laxity exists it may be beneficial to perform liposuction of the neck combined with a short scar SMAS platysma type face and neck lift procedure works very well.

If there is more extensive laxity, a formal neck lift is usually necessary with incisions behind the ears as well and perhaps a small incision under the chin to correct midline muscle laxity (often referred to as platysma banding).

I usually tell my neck lift patients that they can transition back into most of their daily activities after about 7 days as long as they are not doing any heavy lifting. In general patients are counseled to avoid vigorous exercise or activity for two weeks.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

How long does it take to recover from a neck lift

+1
The answer to this depends on the technique that is used. For patients who have a slight amount of mid-line banding, a simple mid-line platysmaplasty procedure can be used. This entails a small incision under the chin and the muscle is tightened in the middle. 

If there is more extensive laxity, a formal neck lift is usually necessary with incisions behind the ears as well. I typically tell my neck lift patients that they can transition back into most of their daily activities after about 7 days as long as they are not doing any heavy lifting. A formal neck lift procedure may take 10-14 days. Generally speaking, I advise most patients to plan for 7-10 days off but it may require more.

Todd C. Miller, MD

What is the recuperation time after neck lift?

+1
Most of the bruising and swelling will be gone after 7-10 days especially if you optimize the setting by staying away from aspirin containing products and any herbals prior to surgery. If you follow your surgeon's pre- and postoperative instructions, you should be sociable before 2 weeks.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Typical "downtime" after a neck lift.

+1
The typical downtime after a neck lift is about 2 weeks.  But, this timeline is dependent on what you expect to do at 2 weeks.  In 2 weeks most patients will be able to drive, shop, return to work and feel comfortable in most social situations.  However, I would be hesitant to state that in two weeks all the swelling, bruising, and stiffness is 100% gone. 

I instruct my patients that in 2 weeks you may begin light lifting exercises, and gradually return to 100% of your exercise routine in 4-6 weeks after surgery.  In 2-3 weeks after surgery it would be very difficult, typically, for anyone to tell you've had surgery, so most social situations should not be an issue.  But in situations where there is very close inspection some people would not feel comfortable for 3-4 weeks or more after surgery.  Everyone's social comfort level is different and this is gone over during a thorough consultation before surgery, in order to establish realistic expectations.

The I-guide neck lift is a less invasive approach and offers good results in experienced surgeons who perform the procedure.  However, the results are less than a formal neck lift unless you include additional procedures and incisions with the I-guide neck lift.  The down time for an isolated I-guide neck lift is 3-5 days, with most patients returning to "normal" activities about 1-2 weeks sooner than a formal neck lift. However, not everyone is a good candidate for an isolated I-guide neck lift, and only a consultation with a surgeon can determine if you are a good candidate or not.

With all that said, please remember a patient's health status, fitness level, and attention to pre and post-surgical instructions can play a large part in the recovery timeline.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

+1

A lower face and neck lift will improve the neck and jowls to the greatest extent.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facelifts, necklifts, and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Recovery time with a lower face/neck lift is about 2 weeks.

+1

Recovery time is quick and easy when the lower face/neck lift is done under local anesthesia and is only 2 weeks at a cost of roughly $8800 on special. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck lift recovery

+1
 The recovery time frame for a neck lift is generally about 2 weeks before patients are able to exercise and go out in public. When patient's have excess skin in the lower neck area, a lower face and neck lift must be performed to address the aging issues. For many examples please see the link below to our face and neck lift photo gallery

Options available

+1
There are non-surgical procedures that could offer some improvement of your neck, e.g. radiofrequency or ultrasonic treatments, but you would see a more dramatic outcome with surgery.  While and isolated neck procedure could be performed (liposuction and muscle tightening under your chin) you will be happier with the outcome with a facelift or more directed lower face/necklift.  Both of these types of procedures would help your jawline as well as your neck.  You look like you would be an excellent candidate!

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon