Recovery from Tumescent Liposuction?

I am still extremely sore and swollen 3 weeks after abdominal Tumescent Liposuction, which I heard had the shortest recovery.

I am so uncomfortable at night, I have been removing my compression garment. How long can I expect this pain to last, and am I doing any damage by removing the garment at night?

Liposuction healing

+1

At three weeks after liposuction, a tight fitting garment may not be necessary. I often recommend that my patients just use the garment for when they feel they need extra support or for those instances when it seems to provide some comfort. If it is at all uncomfortable, then I would not wear it. I also recommend a department store type girdle or garment after the first week as these oftern provide plenty of support and are more comfortable than the post-op surgical garment.

Light exercise - such as light walking - may improve healing by increasing circulation. I would not do anything that is uncomfortable so adjust your pace and your activity to your comfort level.

Some patients have relief from very light massage using a hand held massager and light pressure. Avoid excessive heating pad (no more than 30 minutes at a time and only low setting) as this can cause a reddish-brown discoloration to the skin.

Charlotte Dermatologist

I'm sure you're on track

+1

Tumescent liposuction is the best form of liposuction. But the recovery is not overnight. If it were than not much surgery was done. So take heart the first three weeks are the worst. I have my patients wear their garments 23 hours per day for the first 3 weeks then 12 hours per day for the second 3 weeks. The garment helps the skin to shrink and the edema to subside. You will even continue to see results up to 6 months after surgery. It might be uncomfortable now but the results will be worth it.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon