Recovery from TT/BA/BL for a Student?

I'm a student in my mid-20s who lost a lot of weight, but am healthy, muscular, and fit. I'm planning on getting a TT (without muscle tightening)/BA/BL. How much time would be adequate/reasonable for me to be able to carry a backpack (20-30 lbs.), walk uphill, climb stairs, etc., in addition to having normal energy, mental acuity, and endurance levels? Are there any ways to mitigate or accelerate recovery time, without compromising the healing process?

Tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and breast lift recovery time

+2

With that combination it would be 4 to 6 weeks for recovery. Most of this recovery time is for the tummy tuck because the breast augmentation and breast lift does not require more then a week to two weeks recovery time because you will not be engaging in hard labor and activities.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from TT/BA/BL for a Student

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. You will need about 4 - 6 weeks to recover sufficiently prior to resuming your typical student activities. Each patient will heal differently and have a different scope of surgery. Your surgeon will be able to design a postoperative care schedule that will be optimal for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Fast tracking body and breast contouring

+1

LA9126: Congrats on your project!  Like the other consultants, I agree that 4-6 weeks for both procedures is about what you should expect.  Your PS will probably have briefed you on the necessity to modify your activity schedule, including sexual activity. By contrast, avoid being a "couch potato" because absolute inactivity can at the minimum retard your resumption of regular bowel habits.  Post-op constipation can be both annoying as well as counterproductive if nausea results in dry heaving.  Imagine how your chest will be stressed.  The more dangerous aspect of inactivity is the potential for deep venous thrombosis or pulmonary embolism (clots in your legs which travel to the pulmonary circulation).  The incidence is low in healthy individuals but not negligible. 

In summary, consider your post-op convalescence as a necessary "down time".  It's not high tech, but by optimizing the less glamorous aspects of BMs, allowing suture lines to produce fine lined scars and not getting seromas, you will be able to return to your active, interesting and well configured life sooner.  Good luck

Lavinia Chong, MD

Important to allow enough time to heal properly

+1

It is impossible to say how much time you will need for sure but it is important for you to allow enough time to heal completely.  We do many combined procedures and have published extensively on them.   Some patients are ready to get back in the game in 2 weeks.  Others take 4.   Your age and motivation are on your side.  Good luck.  Dr Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD

Recovery from breast augmentation and tummy tuck

+1

Since your tummy tuck will not any muscle tightening (plication) you can expect to return to most activities in about 4-6 weeks. If your breast implants are placed under the pectoral muscle, you need to avoid heavy lifting for about 4 weeks after surgery. Your body will recover on it's own, there is no good way to speed the recovery other than avoiding smoking, avoiding aspirin containing products and eating a healthy balanced diet.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Recovery is related to tummy tuck - plan to take some time to recover

+1

A common combination of procedures, particularly after a large amount of weight loss.  Your recovery will be related only to your tummy tuck.  The breast surgery usually does not affect your recovery time. 

Why do you not want your muscles tightened in the midline?  This is a typical part of a tummy tuck and is usually very helpful.  I'm not at all convinced it affects recovery time. 

If the incision is properly placed low in your bikini line, you will be stooped over for one to two weeks.  It usually takes a month before you are sufficiently recovered to backpack and generally be back to normal physical activities.  Be sure that you have a vertical lift with your implants, not an inverted-T or periareolar. 

The only way to have a faster recovery time is (1) by lowering your risk of complications by having an experienced operator, and (2) not overdoing it in the first couple of weeks after surgery.  Don't add anxiety by planning to be very active too soon after surgery. 

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery is individual but the first 6 weeks are pretty intense

+1
You have a lot of things going for you. You are young, and fit and healthy and you are not having muscle tightening. Even so, surgery is a big deal and for most patients the first 6 weeks are when your body is working really hard to heal. When you heal, you need more sleep. Most women experience this need for sleep as a total loss of stamina and can get very stressed by feeling "they are not themselves." You will probably not be in significant pain after the first 2 weeks, but you will be tired. So getting back to exercising may take a while. Most of my intense athletes don't even ask to exercise for 4 weeks because they don't feel ready, although from a wound healing standpoint they probably could start sooner. I see my patients frequently postop because no one follows a cookbook for healing. Please make sure your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and that you are comfortable asking him or her any question that may come up. If you go to the tummy tuck page on Realself.com, there is a link to a pdf of "12 things I want patients to know before tummy tuck"

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Recovery about 4 weeks

+1

If you do the procedures together, you should be pretty normal at about 4-6 weeks. The augment/lift recovery is quicker, although not tightening the muscles makes the recovery from the tummy tuck quicker as well. Unfortunatley, there are no shortcuts to healing! Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon