Recovery Time Too Optimistic? (photo)

M, 41 yo, 5'11", 205 lbs, 19%bf. Already had a full tummy tuck and getting "love handles" excised (skin excision plus lipo) on Oct 25. My PS told me there would be two incisions on either side of my torso both going from just in front of my hips to the back above my butt, not connecting. No muscle repair PS tells me 2 weeks back to office, 4 weeks back to gym at full tilt. is this too optimistic?

Recovery Time for Lateral Thigh Lift / Liposuction Too Optimistic?

+2

Your question and photograph bring up ANOTHER question. Is excision of the love handles really necessary? The procedure is usually done as a Lateral Thigh lift in cases of large weight loss. In most people we can get great results with Liposuction (especially VASER) since the skin in this area shrinks nicely.

As far as recovery, I agree with your plastic surgeon. I would refrain from strenuous gym work outs until HE formally releases you.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD 
Memphis, TN

You do not need any incitions can be solved with vasser ultrasound lypo/no necesitarias incision alguna con lypo ultrasonica

+2

i dont see the reasons to cut the skin, this would have been solved easeally with only vasser ultrasonic lypo, this is an ambulatory procedure and besides you only would need 3 to 5 days of resting and no more than a week to back to excersise after done the procedure of course with your elastic garment on you.

no veo la razon para cortar la piel esto se pudo haber  evitado solo con lypo ultrasonico como un procedimiento ambulatorio y regresar a trabajar al tercer dia  y al ejercicio a la semana pero con una faja elastica compresiva sobre ti

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time Too Optimistic?

+2

How do these times compare with the TT recovery?

I would follow your surgeon's recommendations. Mine would be slightly different, as in back to non-physical work in 10 days, but not heavy exercise until 6 weeks, though walking is OK from day 1. The bursting strength of healing wounds doesn't reach 90% of its final strength until 6 weeks, and that is the basis for the restriction.

Thanks for your question and best wishes. 

Recovery time seems reasonable

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  I think your recovery time that you've stated is reasonable.  I agree with some of the other plastic surgeon comments that excision of the love handles seems unnecessary but exactly what is needed and what you and your plastic surgeon have discussed will determine what's best for you. Usually skin that is of reasonable quality will bounce back after liposuction alone and therefore excision of  the skin of the love handles seems unnecessary.

Web reference: Http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Recovery Time Too Optimistic?

+1

Best is to double healing time from 4 to 8 weeks for "full tilt" exercising. But your surgeon knows you better than any of us. 

Recovery Time After Liposuction and Lift of Love Handles

+1

Your surgeon's estimate of recovery time sounds appropriate.  There is of course wide variation from person to person.  If you are physically fit your energy will return faster than a de-conditioned person.  If your life stressors are under control you will heal faster than during hard times.  You should be in good nutritional shape (i.e. not dieting) and good health.  Good luck with your procedure.

Return to Activity after Lipectomy and Liposuction?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

I would agree with your surgeon in that your recovery should be less uncomfortable than after tummy tuck surgery.  However, going back to exercise “full tilt”  may take longer than the 4 weeks that you have discussed. I would suggest that you determine the timing to return to specific activities based on how you are progressing after the procedure;  don't be surprised if you require more than the 4 weeks to regain your strength completely.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you depending on how well you do after the procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Recovery after Flank Liposuction and Excision

+1

Every patient is different when it comes to recovery after surgery. But, based on your surgeon's experience, he or she probably feels that 2 weeks down time before returning to work and 4 weeks before working out has been a reasonable timeline for his/her patients. The best criteria for advancing your activities is how you look and feel at your follow up appointments. If it looks like you're doing well, your surgeon will give you the green light to return to work and subsequently resume your exercise routine.

Thanks for your photo and question. Good luck with your surgery!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.