Recovery Time from Taking Implants from Under the Muscle to over the Muscle

PS confirmed that my 600C silicone unders have caused a double bubble. He has recommended revision and placing them over the muscle. I am considering going to 700c if my frame can handle it. I am 6 ft tall & 600 cc really doesn't show that I have had a BA. What is the recovery time involved with this? If I use the same size silicone over the muscle or increase to 700cc. I have had 4 kids ~ 145 lbs and during preg. went from 34D with 1st BA to 38DD. Concerned with the recovery of this surgery.

Breast Implant Revision

+2

If you have adequate breasr tissue and enough subcutaneous fat , you can easily accomodate 700 implant . Your double bubble deformity should improve after changing the planes , however it may not completely disappear. If you have  "bottoming out " reconstruction of your inframammary fold ( where your breast meet your chest ) may prove to be helpful .You can ask your PS about this option.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Caution with large implants over muscle for double bubble repair

+2

The double bubble occurs for a few reasons, one of which relates to the cutting of the pectoral muscle. The edge then heals into the scar capsule around the implant and pulls there when you flex, and causes a groove across the bottom part of the breast. Going over the muscle can correct this but with implants 600 cc or larger there will be very little support and they will be more likely to sag,show ripples, and look less natural. Other options to look into are a Strattice graft (internal bra) or the split muscle technique, which will retain some coverage over the upper part of the breast.

Richard Baxter, MD

Implant Pocket Change Recovery

+1

Post-Operative Healing following Breast revision varies from patient to patient and recovery recommendations also vary among different plastic surgeons - Best advice is to ask your surgeon his recommendations.
Below is what is typical for my practice.
This is an outpatient surgery and you will  probably go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.
In my practice - Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days and return to work for light duty 1-2 weeks following surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Recovery after Breast Revision Surgery?

+1

I think you may find that placement of breast implants in  the sub glandular  position will be less painful (and will be associated with less recovery time)  than initial surgery in the sub muscular position.

In my practice, I would have offered you a inferior capsulorraphy  to correct the “double bubble” deformity. This technique has a good success rate without the downsides seen with sub glandular breast implants.

Over the muscle

+1

Double bubble can occur with the implant under the muscle.  This can be difficult to repair without

moving the implant to over the muscle.  Recovery with be the same for both.  600 or 700 will work

according to you desire.  The problem with the double bubble is that the muscle has become detached

from the ribs and is only attached to the breast tissue.  The implant is large enough that it extends below

the breast fold allowing the muscle to tug on the skin above the breast fold creating the double bubble.

With the implant on top of the muscle, the tugging is erased.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD