Recovery Time for Liposculptrue/time Before Travel is Safe?

I'm a 26yo female overall healthy and exercise regularly I have considered Liposculpture for some time and visited a surgeon. However this surgeon is in Buenos Aires and I live in Australia. I am starting a new job and cant take too much time off so I plan to have the op Mon and then I would need to fly Fri so I can rest before returning to work Am I putting too much strain on myself? It is a 14 hour flight home. I do trust the surgeon but I need an unbiased opinion of whether this is possible or not

Recovery Time for Liposculpture

+1

Thank you for your question. I do not recommend the surgery with that much travel time. Your risk profile goes up substantially, and the risk of a clot is elevated unnecessarily. Prolonged travel is a real risk factor which should not be underestimated. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time can vary depending on each patient

+1

the recovery time in this kind of surgery depends on patient´s age, quantity of fat taken out,  combined surgeries, massages. most patients can travel 7 to10 days  after a lipo.

Ramon Sabala, MD

Flying after Surgery

+1

I would recommend waiting 2 weeks.  In addition, with a long flight getting up every couple of hours to move the legs and improve circulation.

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Traveling Liposuction

+1

Flying soon after liposuction is not a problem but a 14 hour flight puts you at an increase for a blood clot. If you do decide to proceed then you should invest in some sequential compression devices for your legs. You must walk around the plane for at least 10 minutes each hour you are awake

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Risk of DVT and Plane Travel after Liposuction

+1

I do not recommend long flights for at least 2 weeks after liposuction to minimize the risk of development of blood clots in the legs.

Liposuction and travel

+1

It is difficult to say what is best for you. It really is best to stay locally and have the sugery done at home where you can be appropriately monitored after surgery.

Travel After Liposuction

+1

Ideally, you should give yourself at least 7 days after the procedure before you take a flight that long. Make sure you've visited your surgeon to verify that your'e healing properly and that there is no infection, excessive swelling, etc. While you're on the flight, make sure you walk up and down the aisles frequently to prevent any postoperative complications such as a blood clot in the legs or lung, which you are at more risk for after surgical procedures. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Liposculpture and travel

+1

I would like my patients to remain in the area for one week after surgery. This is in case of complication. Complications are extremely rare in liposculpture. What will you do if there is a problem or revisions are required. It is never a good idea to travel too far for cosmetic surgery. We frequently have patient come from other states for surgery. But we always have contacts in those areas that can followup with the patients if they need to be seen and Skype or email is not sufficient.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

+1

My postoperative visits are scheduled 1-2 days after the procedure and then 1 week after the procedure.   The next visits vary, but I like to see the patient at 6 weeks and 12 weeks.  It is perfectly safe to travel within the week of surgery.  We have many patients who travel for their care in our office.  We will frequently stay in touch with them via Skype or email to make sure things are healing well. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Recovery time for liposculpture before traveling or flying

+1

Although there is no exact amount of time one should wait before traveling or flying after a liposculpture procedure,  2 to 3 weeks would be safer than just 5 days.  Given the length of your flight and the fact that your surgeon will be so far away, I would give myself more time.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon