What is the typical recovery time needed before getting back to sport activities?

I have a very rigourous workout routine. I know that there will be several exercises I do that I won't be able to do until the healing is done. What kind of workouts will I be able to do to help keep in stay in shape and not interfere with the healing process. Thank you.

Ask your surgeon first

+1
You should ask your surgeon for their advice first but this is mine:

After three days, relatively normal non-strenuous activities can be resumed. You shouldn't be exercising at this time, although you are encouraged to leisurely walk around.

After three weeks, you may resume lower body training and light cardio workouts. Just the same, it is extremely important to avoid impact-based exercises for at least four weeks after the procedure. Low or non-impact exercises (like stationary bikes or elliptical machines) may be used.

At the six week point it's possible to gradually return to low weight, high repetition resistance training aimed at the upper body, reconditioning the weak, tightened pectorals and shoulders. Patients should start with upper body exercises such as light dumbbell bench presses and kneeling push-ups, then work their way up from there.

While a careful, mindful return to exercise can actually help the body heal, abrupt movements and overly strenuous activities may lead to complications. Improper exercise can drastically increase the risk of developing capsular contracture. Capsular contracture is a serious condition and often requires additional surgeries to correct. Even after surgery, it is more likely to reoccur in the future if a patient has developed the issue in the past.

In order to reduce the development of any complications, I encourage engaging in core movement training (bench presses, push-ups and isometric exercises) in order to build strength back after surgery. By focusing on restoring the core to full strength before training isolated areas, the surrounding muscle groups are able to help "save" a pectoral muscle that may be overworked or close to injury. This is why I warn against exercises that focus on working isolated pectoral muscles (fly and cable training) before the rest of the body has returned to full strength.

You need to ask your surgeon

+1
This is key.  Know what your surgeon wants you to do and then follow through!

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Talk to your doc and listen to your body...

+1
Docs have different suggestions regarding exercise so, while the comments posted here help, I'd check with your doc to get their spin on exercise. Irregardless of that, do listen to your body. Too many young women try to do the superhuman when it comes to recovery and that leaves them frustrated and uncomfortable. If it hurts, don't do it. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast surgery.

+1
Most surgeons will let you walk as much as you wish beginning the day of surgery.  If all is going well, like jogging wearing support can start at 10 days, and activities gradually increase up to about 6 weeks when pretty much all activities are OK.  But discuss specifics with your surgeon.