Recovery Time for Facelift?

I am considering going out of the state for Facelift. How many days should I stay before returning home?

Recovery Time For a Facelift

+2

Recovery time is a universal concern for prospective patients and the most frequent question during consultations.  Since there is no way to perform a surgical procedure without some recovery, it is important to first dispel the myth of "no downtime" surgery.  The "lunchtime lift"  belongs in the land of unicorns and flying pigs and should be dismissed as a marketing term.  The initial phase of recovery involves some degree of swelling and bruising.  In the link shown below, I show a patient before, at 1 week, and at 1 month after a Facelift. Although all patients are physically capable of driving and going about their business at 7-10 days, some individuals are more sensitive to having a postoperative appearance.  For most patients wearing makeup, going out in public without being conspicuous takes about 2 weeks. Although the wound healing process takes many months to fully settle down, these aspects of recovery are rarely noticeable to the general public.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time for a facelift

+2

The recovery time for a facelift is largely a matter of appearance. Most patients feel fairly normal after a few days and depending on the type of procedure will look fairly normal in 10-14 days. Assuming everything goes well with the surgery, it should be safe to return to your home after that time.

Good luck and best wishes on your surgery.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time after facelift

+2

Generally patients can travel 7 to10 days after surgery. If possible, I like to see my patients again after a few months, and again long term. During that interval, internet communications are comforting to a patient.

The recovery is a different matter. Some patients heal fast, some slow. Patients who have a straightforward facelift will usually be "presentable" faster than patients who have their eyes, brow, cheeklift, lip lifts, LiveFIll, laser etc. done at the same time.

Generally, patients are "presentable" by 2 weeks and "spiffy" by 4 weeks. Final healing time is ually 6 months.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Recovery from a facelift

+2

Depending on the procedure done and how careful your surgeon is with stopping bleeding and thus minizing bruising and swelling, the stay I would recommend if you were my patient is 10 days.  But obviously you should follow your own surgeon's advice.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Recovery after Facelift

+1
There will initially be a large amount of swelling and bruising. This will peak 1-2 days after surgery before gradually declining over 10-14 days. A small amount of swelling may remain for a month or so. Discomfort should be moderate and should decline after about two days.

For the first week, you will not be able to drive or lift anything. You’ll need to keep your head elevated as well, which will mean sleeping in a reclined position rather than lying flat. Exercise should be avoided for a month. Be prepared for your scars to be red for the first month, after which they will fade until they reach their final lightness in about a year. The tissues themselves should be completely healed in about six months.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Recovery

+1
Dear David, thank you for your question. Facelift surgery can improve the cheeks, jowls, and neck. In our San Diego practice, we offer several options based on our clients’ needs. Recovery time depends on the number of procedures, type of anesthesia, etc. Consult with an experienced, board certified facial plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time for Facelift

+1

Most of my patients recover in 1 to 2 weeks. The recovery will depend on your overall health and your response to surgery. You should be able to travel in 7-10 days. Talk to your facial plastic surgeon to see what they recommend.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most Patients Feel Pretty Good in About 4-5 Days Following Facelift Surgery; However, Recovery & Healing May Take Months-1Year

+1

Facelift recovery varies from patient to patient and depends on a large number of variables.  Just as every patient is unique, the chosen procedure for he or she is unique as well.  The differences in wound healing characteristics and the type of procedure performed account for variations in facelift recovery.  Most patients feel pretty good in about four to five days, but their primary concern is when will they be able to go out in public.  Recovery following facelift surgery may last for months, but most patients feel they can go out in public in about two weeks.  At this point, most of the bruising and swelling has resolved.  Many patients adjust their hair style to hide their incisions and use make up as well.
It’s important to emphasize that recovery periods are variable and depend not only on the patients wound healing characteristics and the surgical technique utilized, but also on the patient’s tolerance for changes that may occur following facelift surgery.  For these reasons, it’s important to discuss your travel plans with your plastic surgeon before proceeding.  The extent and complexity of your surgical procedure, along with any co-existing medical conditions can significantly impact how long you will need to stay in town.  Your surgeon should be able to give you an appropriate time frame providing no complications occur.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time for a Facelift

+1

The recovery time for a facelift is 10-14 days if one has an isolated facelift, it may even be less. If one has additional eyelid surgery it may be at least 2 weeks before returning to work.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Recovery Timeline for Facelift

+1

Many of my patients fly in for surgery. For a facelift we like them to stay in town a minimum or 7-10 days but 2 weeks is the best. We always are available by phone and e-mail along with video conferencing and sending electronic photos if questions. I would suspect that this is also available with your surgeon. If you really don't want any one to know you had a surgical procedure you might consider an extra week.Patients should expect swelling, discoloration, and bruising of the skin for a few weeks following a full face lift.  Individuals vary a great deal in their response, but commonly the patient will be presentable within 3 weeks. Our experts in camouflage make-up  teach our patients how to make temporary bruising less or not noticeable shortly after surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS