Recovery Time and Travel After Breast Implants?

I live in the Midwest and am considering traveling to Florida to have breast implant surgery. I'm young and healthy and have undergone facial plastic surgery before. I plan to either travel by bus or car and I will have someone to accompany me. What is the minimum amount of time you'd recommend that I defer my travels to heal?

Recovery time and travel after breast implants?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. Our practice has patients travel from afar. Opinions on travel following a surgical procedure will differ amongst surgeons, and is best to discuss this with your surgeon. In our practice, we ask that you plan to stay for 2-3 days to observe and evaluate the surgical areas as well as your readiness for travel. Depending on which procedure you have, up to a week or so may be necessary.  For your procedure and travel, this time frame should be reasonable. 

Ensuring adequate oral intake and mobility is a must and proper postoperative care of the surgical sites and incisions is prudent. An evaluation postoperatively as well as prior to departure is usually done to make sure that all is well for your travel back. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Recovery Time & Travel

+1

The recovery time after breast augmentation is quite variable.  Some patients are able to get back to normal activity including driving or light activity in two to four days. Our practice has a large population of hair dressers that are able to get back to work in four to five days to style hair. This profession does not require a lot of labor, but does involve a great deal of arm motion. I would recommend that if you are the one driving that you not overexert yourself because the long drive may be too strenuous.  However, if you are just riding in the car you shouldn't have too much discomfort. Avoid lifting heavy bags or luggage as exercise isn't recommended until two to three weeks for aerobic activity, and three to four weeks for weight lifting. This being said, I feel it is very important that you attend all recommended follow up appointments with your doctor and plan your travel accordingly.  All the best --Dr. Cohen

Michael D. Cohen, MD

+1

I usually see my patients on the fifth day post-op to give them their massaging exercises and check for any problems. Actually, you could travel on the second or third day providing you have no complication. It is risky though, because if you do have a complication, and you are on the road, you may have serious problems, such as bleeding or an infection. This could affect your result for the rest of your life. Take your surgery very seriously.

My suggestion is to remain in the area for 5 to 78 days according to what your PS recommends.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Traveling for surgery

+1

It is usually not ideal to have your surgeon hundreds or thousands of miles away.  If all goes well then no problem, but if you have post operative complications it is beneficial to have help near by.  If this is not the case then I would have you stay in the are for at least 7 days.  At that point sutures can be removed and you would be over most early complication risks.  

How soon can one travel after breast augmentation?

+1

Technically, I would allow a patient to travel on the 4th day after breast augmentation.  However,  many patients are still requiring pain medications at this time and therefore someone else may have to accompany you to avoid problems. In addition, you may not necessarily feel well enough to travel at that time. By the end of the first week most patients will be up for traveling. Be aware that long term complications from your surgery could develop that would necessitate the return to your out of town surgeon.

David A. Ross, MD

Travel after surgery

+1

I like to see my patients at 3 days and or 7 days after surgery.  In my practice the problems I run into are with the travelers.  I too have traveled for surgery (not plastic) and had to have it fixed at home.  That's my opinion.

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery in Florida

+1

Since my practice is in Orlando, the tourist capital of the USA, we are very used to helping out-of-town patients.  I typically recommend staying in the area for 6-7 days post-op after a breast augmentation, just to make sure that all is well, and that there are no signs of early complications before you head home.  We then keep in touch with our out-of-towner patients by phone, email and text, so that we can answer any questions or issues that might come up.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Midwest plastic surgeons are just as qualified as those in Florida

+1

Thank you for your inquiry.  There are a variety of issues that can come up after breast augmentation surgery; some of which can require surgery. So, there is not a specific time frame at which it is 'safe' to travel after breast augmentation.  Plastic surgeons in the Midwest are just as well trained and qualified to perform breast augmentation surgery as those in Florida.  At least, if you had a problem, you would be able to see your surgeon no matter how long it came up after surgery. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Post op problems, some of which require surgery, are not rare with implant surgery, so I am not sure I see an advantage of travelling so far, particularly by road. 

The early concerns would be for bleeding (hematoma), so planning to stay nearby your surgeon for 3-4 days seems sensible, although there is not particular number of days that will assure "safety."

All the best.

Traveling for breast augmentation

+1

You shouldn't need to travel to FL for breast aug. There should be plastic surgeons nearer to you who can do everything you want. You really need to stay for 10-14 days after surgery because you can get a hematoma up til then if you overdo. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS