Recovery Period for Minor Hump Reduction?

How long of a recovery period could I expect if I only got a slight hump reduction Rhinoplasty? Thank you very much.

Minor Hump Reduction

+1

The operative word in your question is reference to a slight hump reduction. That is a very subjective term. Your recovery could be as little as 7-10 days. Please have a thorough consultation to discuss your goals and determine what surgical procedure would be necessary. 

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

The "downtime" following rhinoplasty is variable depending on what rhinoplasty techniques are used such as whether the surgery was performed open or closed, whether any tip work was performed, and whether the nasal bones were broken (osteotomies). Patients who undergo open rhinoplasty typically have more edema (swelling) that persists longer compared to patients in whom closed rhinoplasty techniques were used. If the nose was surgically broken by performing osteotomies then there is usually more swelling and bruising.

Patients are generally encouraged to take a week of from work or school. After two weeks, most patients can gradually return to strenuous activities such as exercising.

The swelling gradually dissipates over the first several months and thus the appearance of the nose changes gradually. When the cast is removed after one week, the nose will look swollen. Usually by the end of the second week, the swelling and bruising have subsided enough that the casual observer will not readily notice that the nose has been operated on. However, to the patient, the nose will look swollen or "puffy" for several months. By about 3-4 months, the majority of the swelling will be gone but will look larger in photographs. It can take as long as a year for the final shape to become apparent. You should give yourself several months if if there are any work or social engagements that would cause concern.

Web reference: http://rhinoplasty-usa.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Slight Hump Reduction; How Long is Recovery Period?

+1

Hi Frank,

Most slight hump reductions in my practice do not need lateral osteotomies (breaking the bones). Without the osteotomies, the recovery in one week. If it is necessary to make those "cuts" in the nasal bones then it may be a two week recovery period.

Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Be well.

Dr. P

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.