Recovery Period for Abdominoplasty with Muscle Repair and Mastoplexy Without Implant?

I am booked in to have the above procedure 13th January 2013, I have had hysterectomy 10yrs ago, can I expect recovery to be as painful.

Abdominoplasty abdominal wall tightening requires 2 weeks for recovery

+1

Thank you for the question.  The general recovery period for being able to take care of oneself is about 2 weeks.  At this time you may be off of the pain medication and driving yourself becomes realistic.  Its the muscle tightening component of the tummy tuck that requires the most downtime.

Dr Remus Repta

Hysterectomy Pain vs Mommy Makeover Pain

+1

I have heard women who have had both say that the pain is comparable, some saying the hysterectomy is more painfull, some saying the tummy tuck is more painful.

Recovery after Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift

+1

Each patient is different with their recovery.  Some patients state that the surgery was easy while others have a more difficult time.  On average, 2-4 weeks recovery is needed for this surgery.  Most of the discomfort will be due to the muscle work performed with the tummy tuck surgery.  You will be "hunched over" to protect the incision and not allowed to do any heavy lifting for at least 2 weeks (if not more).  

Speak to your surgeon to get more precise advice and remember to follow the advice for the best aesthetic result possible.

Recovery Period for Abdominoplasty with Muscle Repair and Mastoplexy

+1

These procedures are often done on patients who have had c-section or hysterectomy in the past.

Usually the post op course is similar. What is worse is the longer incision and manipuation of the abdominal wall. What is better is that the abdominal cavity in not entered. Some women think the hysterectomy (or c-section) was worse, some feel the TT was worse. The added breast surgery usually adds little to the overall discomfort. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

Recovery after tummy tuck and mastopexy

+1

Thank you for your question. The combination of a tummy tuck and mastopexy, the "mommy make over", is a common one and can produce a dramatic improvement. It is not without some recovery time however. I tell women to expect a 2 week recovery before returning to work or normal activities provided that the job doesn't entail lifting. Depending on the amount of muscle tightening, lifting is avoided for 4-6 weeks, with lifting defined as anything heavier than a cup of coffee. This allows the muscles to properly heal and maintain your optimal result.

While your recovery is similar to your hysterectomy recovery, it usually is less painful, as the muscles as not cut in an abdominoplasty as they are in a hysterectomy. I break the recovery up into 3 phases. For the first 3 days, It is sore and painful, and your activity will be limited. The prescribed pain meds will help your get through this part. After 3 days, you will turn the corner and start moving around the house better. A week after this, you should be able to drive and gradually increase your activity level.

While not fun, the recovery is tolerable with help and patience. The results will certainly be worth it.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Recovery After Abdominoplasty and Mastopexy

+1

Thank you for the question. Your recovery will be fairly similar in the time frame, however the fact that the muscle will not have to be cut will most likely translate into less intense pain. You will require a minimum of 6 weeks recovery before beginning any vigorous exercise or lifting any significant amount of weight as the muscle repair will have to heal. 

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Recovery after tummy tuck is not quick

+1

Recovery from a tummy tuck is very similar to the recovery from a hysterectomy or C-section.  Expect 2 weeks of limited activity, no lifting over 15 lbs the first week and 30 lbs the second week.  Vigorous activity can be started 4-6 weeks after the procedure.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon