Is Recovery Better for a Juvederm Than Botox when Used to Reduce Laugh Lines?

Is recovery time better for a Juvederm than botox? Are the results more satisfactory for Juvederm on laugh lines? How often is Juvederm recommended for laugh lines than botox?

Juvederm and Botox

+1

Juvederm and Botox are not interchangeable.  Juvederm is a filler used to restore lost volume and plump lines.  Botox relaxes movement caused by muscles.  Juvederm is used for laugh lines, not Botox.  There is a potential for bruising but it can be camouflaged with makeup.

Toronto Dermatologist

Laugh Lines

+1

Botox and Juvederm are not interchangeable.  It is best to keep botox to the upper half of the face (i.e. forehead, glabella, crow's feet).  The risk is generally not worth the benefit to use around the mouth. Juvederm works well with laugh lines.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Restylane and Juvederm are better for laugh lines than Botox

+1

Although some doctors choose to use Botox to soften the laugh line by weakening the smile muscles, there is a risk that there can be a very unsightly asymmetric facial appearance around the mouth from the Botox and a "stroke" like appearance could result and take up to four months to go away.  Fillers are used the overwhelming majority of times for laugh lines (if you are referring to smile creases than run vertically between the nostril and corner of mouth and not the lines that are parallel to the crows' feet but are placed closer to the cheekbone, because the latter are not treated well by either). Bruising, although possible, is not severe typically with either filler or Botox but thicker fillers, such as Radiesse, Sculptra, fat injections, need larger needles and can bruise more.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvedermâ„¢ & other dermal fillers treat smile/laugh lines

+1

Both of these procedures are considered "no downtime" meaning you do not have to avoid social situations. Juvederm and other dermal fillers are usually the treatment of  choice for laugh lines to fill in the deep folds. Botox would just restrict the movement and are best used for forehead and crows feet. Fillers are quite low maintenance. Depending on lifestyle and the filler you choose, they may need to be redone every 6-12 months.

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm vs Botox for laugh lines

+1

These products are not the same and are not interchangeable! I tell my patients this: Botox and Dysport can be used in the upper face (i.e., forehead, glabella, crow's feet), and fillers like Juvederm or Restylane are primarily used in the lower half of the face (i.e, nasolabial folds, marrionette lips, lip aug). I do not like injecting Botox around the mouth as it inhibits muscle movement. I've seen bad Botox injections around the mouth where people then having trouble with mouth muscle function like talking, eating, and smiling! You best bet is a qualified, board-certified injector and a filler for laugh lines.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Does juvederm work better than botox for laugh lines?...

+1

Juvederm and Botox are two different products that treat different areas of the face.  First, Juvederm is a filler product.   The injections treat the folds around the nose, cheek and mouth area.  The procedure can last up to eight months.  Botox injections are meant for the crows feet, forehead and area between the eyes.  It works by weakening the muscles to prevent frown lines.  Botox is usually not used for laugh lines.  If it's the laugh lines that you are concerned about, Juvederm or other "filler" products would be your best option.  Consult a board certified plastic sugeron for your best options. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best treatment for laugh lines

+1

In my opinion, Juvederm is much superior over Botox for laugh lines. Occasionally I will supplement a Juvederm injection with Botox for a longer lasting effect but Juvederm is always the primary treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm vs botox

+1

Juvederm and botox are both different products and are used for different indications. Although their use can overlap in a few areas, such as with lines around the mouth they are usually used to achieve different goals. Botox, or Dysport, can be used to stop movement of muscles which helps erase the lines that are caused by this. This is most useful in forehead, 11's between eyes(glabella) and around the eyes. I do use sometimes in lower face and the neck. Juvederm, or Restylane,  is more commonly used for the "parentheses" folds under mouth, lips and for adding volume where volume lost or needed for enghancement.  Also use some under eyes. An experienced dermatologist would be the person to decide what to put where. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Juvederm versus Botox for laugh lines

+1

You are comparing apples and oranges when speaking about these two products.  Botox is a neuromuscular blocking agent and works best in the upper face (crow's face, glabellar and forehead) to decrease muscle movement. Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid based filler and works best in areas of volume loss, moderate to severe wrinkling and in the lips for augmentation.   Because filler is place between the different layers of the skin it does have the potential to create more swelling and/or bruising, so to minimize this potential we pre-ice the area and inject slowly as to decrease the trauma to the expanding tissues.

As for which product is the best... when treating  the laugh lines in the corners of the eyes, I use Botox or Dysport  to stop the crinkle movement and for the laugh lines around the mouth, I use Juvederm or Restylane to fill in the wrinkles but not alter the muscle movement of the smile.

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Is Recovery Better for a Juvederm Than Botox when Used to Reduce Laugh Lines?  Nothing has a quicker ecovery than Botox.  You can use Botox effectively to reduce unwanted lines around the mouth....not in the nasolabial folds however which require a filler like Perlane, Juvederm etc.