Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Mastoplexy?

I am booked in for tummy tuck and mastoplexy 21st Jan 2013, can I expect recovery to be similar to hysterectomy recovery?

Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Mastopexy

+1

Women often compare the pain of the tummy tuck to a C-section or a hysterectomy.  However, after listening to hundreds of women in this situation, I would say that the experience for pain is individual and hard to predict.   

The tummy tuck portion will be the main part of your recovery

+1

Thank you for the question.  A tummy tuck usually requires 2 weeks of recovery in terms of feeling able to go off of pain medications and starting to take care of oneself.  Most breast lift procedures are relatively easy in terms of recovery since it largely involves skin and fat both of which have little discomfort associated with surgery.  Patient do generally equate a hysterectomy and tummy tuck recovery although the sensation will be different since the tummy tuck involves a larger surface area but a hysterectomy involves entering the intra-abdominal area.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Recovery varies.

+1

Thanks for sharing. Recovery varies slightly from patient to patient and there are stages. This operation typically recovers faster than a hysterectomy. 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover recovery

+1

Usually my patients recover from a mommy makeover much more quickly that they do from a hysterectomy.

David Stoker, MD

Recovery from tummy tuck and mastopexy vs. hysterectomy

+1

Recovery varies greatly from person to person. Comparing tummy tuck to hysterectomy in terms of pain is fair if you had an incision on your lower abdomen, as opposed to a trans-vaginal hysterectomy. If the external incision was used, the six pack muscles were cut. This pain is usually equivalent or worse than pain caused by stitching the muscles back together to repair a diastasis (abdominal bulge). Pain from a mastopexy is mild in comparison and should not add much to your recovery.

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Michael Vennemeyer, MD
Southlake Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from tummy tuck and mastopexy versus hysterectomy

+1

This is a great question and a common one in my office.  The answer lies in the difference between the surgical dissection involved in a tummy tuck versus a hysterectomy.  While the hysterectomy surgery usually involves cutting the belly muscles, tummy tuck surgery involves plication of the muscle.   Both can cause spasm and pain, but tummy tuck surgery is virtually always reported as an easier recovery. The addition of mastopexy surgery is unlikely to add any significant pain unless you choose to have an implant placed for volume.  This would again involve muscle cutting and more pain.  The majority of your discomfort should be within the first two weeks and most of my patients return to the gym at 6 weeks.  Good Luck.

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Mastopexy

+1

Thank you for your question regarding recovery from tummy tuck and mastopexy.  Everyone heals differently from surgery, but I would anticipate that your tummy-tuck/mastopexy surgery should be similar to your recovery from the hysterectomy. There are quite a few different techniques in tummy tucks today that can change the length of recovery and comfort for the patient. I am currently using a progressive suture technique that secures the abdominal flap to the underlying fascia, thereby distributing tension over a larger area. By keeping pressure more evenly distributed, there is less direct pressure at the incision site and my patients tend to be more comfortable.  A big benefit is that it eliminates the need for a surgical drain, which is typically sutured to the incision site for a 7-10 days following surgery and can be a source of discomfort.  In addition, we use SofPulseĀ®, which uses targeted microcurrents to transmit gentle pulses to the tissue to help reduce swelling and speed up the natural recovery process that has been very helpful in aiding recovery from tummy tuck.  Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who can give you a realistic idea of what to expect following your procedures. Tummy tuck and mommy makeovers tend to be  procedures that most patients are extremely satisfied with following their recovery.  Good luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

+1

Many women have had both  hysterectomy and tummy tuck and I find it hard to make a definitive prediction of which is more uncomfortable. Some patients recall that the TT was worse, some that the hysterectomy was worse. Most found them similar. Many have noted that their GYN's suggested 6 weeks off work, where as the PS's usually suggested 2 to 4 weeks off. I am not sure that that reflects actual disability time, or the fact that most get automatic sick leave for the hysterectomy, but not necessarily for the TT. 

Most patients who have TT and breast surgery together barely notice the breast discomfort.

Thanks for your question. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.   

Recovery from Tummy Tuck and Mastopexy

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with a Mommy Makeover.  The results of this procedure can be dramatic, and can make a tremendous difference in women's self esteem. 

Questions about recovery are common.  Depending on how your hysterectomy was performed (through the abdomen or through the vagina), your recovery may or may not be similar.  In the first week of tummy tuck recovery, your abdomen will feel quite tight, and you will likely walk slightly bent over until that tightness begins to settle.  My postoperative instructions include light lifting less than 15 lbs for the first 6 weeks after surgery in order to protect the sutures tightening the muscles as well as the snugly closed incision.  You may expect to be able to return to a desk job in 2-3 weeks after surgery.  Adding a mastopexy to this does not significantly affect your recovery period.

Dr. Skourtis

DrMSkourtisPlasticSurgery.com

Mia E. Skourtis, MD