Recovery from Breast Augmentation?

I'm scheduled to have my Breast Augmentation surgery on the June 2nd 2013. Do you think i would have recovered enough (both internally and externally in terms of bruising, swelling etc) to be able to travel with my family and children on the 20th of June (19 days later)? Thank you.

Recovery from Breast Augmentation

+1

The time frame that you have given appears to coincide with healing after a breast augmentation.  Of course, you must be on the lookout for possible activities that would aggravate your recovery such as picking up large objects.

Recovery time after an augmentation

+1

Your doctor should be able to give you guidelines but in my practice, in a standard recovery, patients are allowed to resume activities 3 weeks post-op.  As for travel, you can certainly plan on it but depending on your recovery, may not yet be able to do everything you want to.

Curtis Wong, MD

Recovery after breast implant

+1

Hello anon6587,

"Recovered" can mean different things - by day 18 you shouldn't be bruised but you will still be a little swollen and you might feel nervous about being bumped in crowded areas like travel queues etc. If your implants are behind the muscle you will still be uncomfortable with shoulder girdle movements and wearing a backpack or even a day pack wouldn't be such a good idea. But if your bags/luggage is taken care of by others you should be OK. Perhaps check whether your surgeon would prefer that you stay close before leaving. 

Best wishes

Adrian Knox, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

You should be fine

+1

While I don't allow my patients to return to full rigorous exercise for about 4 weeks after surgery, I will let them return to light daily activities and light exercise at a week.  This would include traveling as long as someone else carries the luggage.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

You should be Ok to enjoy vacation

+1

The recovery from breast augmentation procedure is fairly quick to compare to other procedures and it takes about 2-3 days to feel pretty good. At this point most patients do not take strong pain medications anymore and can get back to light everyday duties like an office work. Having 19 days as recovery time gives you plenty and you will be able to enjoy yourself during vacation time. The excision site should be healed. You still might experience some tightness depending on your body type and size of the implants. Please  take it easy(like you should during vacation) give yourself plenty of rest and be careful with lifting heavy objects.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Breast augmentation surgery

+1

hello recovery in breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors, including the rest to save the patient the first three days, usually placed in front of the muscle implants causing discomfort and the possibility of pain and decrease bleeding by so at that time you can get an excellent recovery

Wilfredo Rodriguez Pena, MD

Recovery and Travel after Breast Augmentation

+1

Recovery after breast augmentation varies by how the procedure is done and where the implant is placed. Done properly, however, recovery to most activities should take from 24 hours to 3-4 days. The only restriction for much longer than that is jogging, step aerobics and other activities that significantly bounce the breasts. Travel, therefore is more than physically possible at 19 days. The only problem is that there is still some risk of developing a blood clot in your legs that could dislodge and go to the lungs and kill you for another few weeks even after that. Therefore, you need to stop and walk around every 30 minutes and, when sitting, move your feet as much as possible.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Travel after Augment

+1

Hello there

Traveling as early as a week after augmentation is commonplace here. 

We've never really had a problem from it , but you need to strictly avoid lifting your own suitcase or you could potentially create a muscle tear and a bleed. 

Cheers

Terrence Scamp 

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+1

It would be ok for you to travel a couple weeks after Breast Augmentation.  The only reason there is any problem is if you need to lift anything heavy (I had a patient travel across the country 2 weeks after BA and lifted her suitcase by herself - she had a sudden hematoma and had to go to the operating room to stop the bleeding).  The other concern is that you are using an increased amount of energy to heal everything and so you may be more tired than normal even when you aren't doing much.  Finally, sitting for long periods of time has a higher chance of blood clots which can go to your lungs and become life threatening and so does surgery - therefore you want to make sure you take breaks and walk around.  Good luck!  K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

+1
If you heal normally it is fine to travel in two to three weeks. Just ensure you follow all the preoperative and postoperative protocol strictly to ensure predictable healing.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon