Recovery for older female with high BMI?

Tried to lose weight but unsuccessful. exercise hard because of orthopedic issues. I am waiting to see if BCBS even approves me. 63 yo. BMI 40. surgeon suggested it. if this gets approved, what kind of recovery issues will I have? . total recovery time? assistance needed? when can I go out and wear a blouse again, and not be in pjs? you know anyone like me? I see discussions about younger females with lower BMIs. need other opinions.

Tummy tuck?

+1

I would advise you to have a gastric bypass procedure prior to having a tummy tuck since the weight loss needs to happen first.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck tuck recover in older patients with high BMI

+1

You are correct in assuming your recovery time may be longer and more involved given your age and high BMI. Further the risks of would healing problems and systemic blood clotting problems may be significantly greater. Before proceeding with any surgery, be certain to check with your primary medical doctor to see if they they believe that the benefits of the surgery outweighs the risks in your own case. Be certain that your surgeon is aware of all of your medical problems and been able to communicate with your primary doctor. It is possible for older patients with high BMIs to have a tummy tuck surgery, but extra precautions need to be taken. Even with this, the risks are higher and the recovery longer than the average patient. Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

High BMI tummy tuck...

+1

Greetings,

As a matter of safety, I advise supervised weight loss for patients with a high BMI. Orthopedic issues can complicate recovery from any elective abdominoplasty. At around a BMI of 30 or lower, I would feel much more comfortable performing surgery, since the multiple post-operative complications become less frequent.

Discuss your surgery, optimal timing, and risks in great detail with your board certified plastic surgeon....

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for older female with high BMI

+1

Many surgeons would not do a TT on a patient with a BMI over 30 due to the high rate of complications that may occur. Without photos it is hard to comment on any possible benefit. Sometimes overhanging skin can be removed without doing a complete TT, with some less risk, but still a high level at BMI of 40.

All the best.

Recovery from Tummy Tuck surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is experienced in body contouring surgery, and has an excellent reputation in your community.

From your description it sounds as though you should lose weight before considering a Tummy Tuck.being overweight can increase the chances of serious complications after a Tummy Tuck. Be sure to discuss this with the plastic surgeon you choose.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS