Will recovery be easier with no MR? (photo)

After several consults where they all said I needed no MR I'm assuming my stomach surgery in 07 resulted in an MR. I'm 52 and OK shape. W/O the MR, what are the opinions that it will be an easier recovery? If he sees during surgery that some MR is needed, is it worth the extra pain/recovery? I will not be wearing a bikini, just want the apron gone.

Do I Need Muscle Repair. I Had Gastric Surgery 7 Years Ago. Is Muscle Repair Worth It re Pain?

+1
If you inject the abdominal fascia and surrounding tissues with Exparel (long acting bupivacaine anesthetic) during the tummy tuck, the need for post-operative pain meds and pain itself is greatly reduced over the next three days. This or a pain pump may alleviate some of your concerns about postoperative pain from a muscle repair. I would not forgo the benefits of muscle repair. This is your one chance, and the results are long lasting and greatly contribute to the appearance of the abdomen. Your photos indicate that you are a candidate for muscle repair, as are almost all tummy tuck patients who have had children or have been stretched out from losing a lot of weight.
I don't think you need to wait until the operation is in progress to make a decision to have a muscle repair. It is a standard component of a tummy tuck and gives the look and result that women expect to have.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair with tummy tuck

+1
  • Your photos strongly suggest that your abdominal muscles are weak. 
  • Or something else is causing your mid-abdomen to protrude.
  • Fibroids for instance can do this. Have a GYN exam before any surgery. 
  • Removing only the excess skin - instead of a muscle repair and skin removal tummy tuck is fine, if all you want is the lower edge of loose skin removed.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Will recovery be easier with no MR?

+1
It is the very unusual patient that does well without muscle plication being performed during the tummy tuck surgery. In other words, most patients benefit from muscle re-approximation during this procedure. Be careful you do not shortchange yourself; the difference in  recovery discomfort is not worth the  potential for long-term regrets... Best wishes. 

Should I have a Muscle Repair or Not

+1
I seldom don't do muscle repairs.  This will the best opportunity to create a tight bridge across your abdomen that you will never have again.  I think the results last longer.  I had one patient who ended up having twins after her TT and I was amazed that her abdominal wall snapped back nicely.  She had a little skin that needed to be excised, but that was all. With the availability of Exparel the additional pain of the muscle repair is hardly a problem for most patients.  Exparel is a long acting local anesthetic that is injected under the muscle covering at the time of surgery.  It lasts about three days.  It does not eliminate the pain, but it reduces it enough that most patients use less pain medications than if they didn't have Exparel.  

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Muscle reparation?????

+1
Interesting question, thanks for photography, after  having babies  the muscles of the abdominal wall become weak, so you will probably need repair of the muscles of the abdominal wall for better result. pain does not vary much between performing a tummy tuck with no MR  and a tummy tuck witn MR, remember that every day painkillers are better.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

In my opinion I do believe that you'll have great results with the tummy tuck and the MS (muscle repair) this will correct the protruded abdomen. The pain and discomfort is expected but there's always medications that can help ease all that.

Good luck,
Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair during abdominoplasty as little to recovery

+1
Thank you for your question and photograph.   In my experience recovery following tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is about the same regardless of whether muscle repair is done.  Please be sure to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  The surgeon should be able to diagnose the need for a muscle repair  on physical examination before surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+1
Your body shape is excellent.
There is a slight bulge in the lower abdomen and some fat. A good diagnosis of the muscle conditions and the proper surgery would give you an excellent result. Without examination and discussion with you about the desired results,  it is very difficult to advise. Removing the apron is simple and recovery is quick. But the bulge would not improve, and the central midline depression would not improve.