Recovery from Breast Augmentation with an 18 Month Old and a 4 Yr Old

I am considering having breast augmentation but am concerned about what the recovery is like. At the time of the surgery, my two children will be about 18 months and 4 years. I am a stay at home mom. Will my husband need to take 2 weeks off, or more? At what point will I be allowed to lift the baby (approx 21 lbs)?

Recovery from breast surgery

+2

This is a question best answered by your personal surgeon since he or she is the only one who knows what your surgery will consist of. In general, the first week is the acute recovery phase and most doctors will tell you not to lift your baby. However, this is in some way dependent on whether you go under or above your pectoralis muscles. The other thing you may need to be cautious about is your baby squirming or kicking on your arms. A hard kick to your recently operated breasts can set you back a few days of discomfort. If the baby is quiet and someone can gently place the baby in your arms, it might be ok to hold it after the first week.

Recovery from Breast Augmentation

+2

It is very common to perform breast augmentation on Moms. I generally recommend taking it easy with lifting for about 1-2 weeks. Most moms are OK with child care during this period. Of course, it doesn't hurt to ask a family member or girlfriend to get a little extra help. I do recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous acitivty for 4 weeks (in terms of working out etc.) Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Quick recovery breast augmentation

+1

We typically perform surgery in the middle of the week, and patients return to work on Monday.  We allow resumption of full activity after 2 weeks.  Our only suggestions is that after two weeks restart your exercise program slowly.  We always have to tell our runners not to do a big run on day 15, but start slowly.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Lifting after augmentation

+1

I tell patients that they should avoid heavy lifting for about 6 weeks.  I tell patients with young children that they should not lift up the child out of a crib but the child can hold on to the neck and then the patient can supprort the child and that is fine, But I would wait a week or so.

Recovery after breast augmentation

+1

Movement of your arms and lifting your 18 month old may be uncomfortable for a few days to even a few weeks, and although every patient is different with respect to post surgical pain level, generally, breast augmentation patients with young children do not need help at home with their children for more than a day or two.

Steve Laverson, MD

Recovery after breast implant surgery

+1

Most doctors will say you cannot go back to the gym for 3 to 4 weeks after breast surgery. Lifting a 21 pound baby is much the same. If you start vigorous physical activity too soon you can dislodge or shift the implants espcecially if they are under the muscle, cause a clotted blood vessel to open up and bleed under the skin, disrupt a suture line etc. You need to have a thorough discussion with your surgeon and plan well ahead of time for the recovery. If your husband cannot do it you are better off arranging for a friend or family member to help especially with the children. Some women have their mothers or a sister move in for a week or 2. When you return to regular physical activity do it in a graduated fashion as comfort allows.

Aaron Stone, MD

+1

Best to ask your chosen surgeon. I recommend 10 days for recovery, maybe more. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Recovery from augmentation

+1

figure that you will feel ok in a few days, but not be able to lift the little ones for 2-4 weeks.  Exertion can cause bleeding.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Breast Augmentation and Lifting Post Surgery

+1

Every surgeon has specific activity restrictions after breast augmentation surgery and you should speak with your surgeon regarding their protocol. In essence, activity restriction is for two reasons. 1) Increased activity early on will increase swelling and thus delay the healing process. 2) Lifting or strenuous activity early on can increase the chance of bleeding right after surgery as well as potentially causing implant displacement.

In my practice I limit my patients to light activity (walking, daily activities of living) for the first 4 weeks. After that they can go back to the gym. I arbitrarily choose 10-15 lbs as the weight restriction for the first several weeks after surgery. It is important that you give your body time to heal after surgery.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Childcare after Breast Augmentation

+1

I do not recommend strenous activity for 4-6 weeks after Augmentation.   I would ask that you not lift your child if at all possible for 10-14 days.   My concern is displacement of your implants or wound breakdown.   I would recommend your husband, a family member, or close friend assist you.   Remember, this is elective cosmetic surgery, we don't want you to take an unnecessary risk that can result in a complication requiring more surgery, hence more costs and recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD