Recovery After an Extended Tummy Tuck?

I'm planning on getting an extended tummy tuck, lipo and fat transfer to the buttocks. I know all 3 shouldn't be done together because it will reduce the amount of fat that stays alive in my buttocks. But, I was wondering what steps I should take to recover well. I'm not looking to recovery fast or anything; because everyone is different. I just want to know if there is anything I can do to help out with the recovery.

Recovery after an extended tummy tuck

+2

would require up to 6 weeks before resumption of unrestricted activities if your muscles are plicated (sutured together).  The liposuction shouldn't contribute much to the recovery process.  As for the fat grafting, since you are aware of the fat take with pressure on it, as long as you are accepting of this and have fat in other places in case you need a revision or regrafting done, go for it.  You will be surprised at how much of your fat grafted to your buttock takes.  Avoid constipation in your recovery period, hydrate, and breathe deeply and simply avoid vigorous activities.

Should I Get a Tummy Tuck, Lipo and Buttock Fat Grafting at the Same Time?

+2

You will recover from this a few days longer than if you did lipo and a tummy tuck only. With an extended tummy tuck, which really just means a full abdominoplasty and liposuction of the waist and possibly flanks, the recovery for my patients is about a week to ten days to be fully mobile and able to drive.

If you do fat grafting to the buttocks, it is not good for fat survival for you to be putting pressure on the buttocks by lying on your back or sitting for the first week. That is very inconvenient because it means you will either be standing, bent over, or lying on your side.

Just take it easy, make sure you get up and move around to minimize the risk of blood clots in your legs, hydrate your self well, take something to avoid constipation, and try to keep pressure off your buttocks as much as possible.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after tummy tuck and other procedures

+2

Obviously, follow your doctor's advice first and foremost.  In general I would recommend that patients plan small, bland (BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) meals for the first few days in case you have significant nausea, and take a multivitamin (with food).  Patients should stay well hydrated as well and should not over exert themselves.  Best of luck to you. 

James E. Chappell, MD

Recovery after a tummy tuck

+1

I tell my patients to take it easy for 1-2 weeks and to have plenty of light foods around.  Check with your plastic surgeon about any other specifics.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Recovery after tummy tuck

+1

The best advice I can give you is to follow the instructions of your surgeon. It will be a 2 or 3 wheel recovery any way you look at it. But the results are usually fantastic and you should be quite pleased. I agree with not doing the fat transfer at the same time. I fact I would advise against that part altogether. a true waste of money!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD