Recovery After Dog Ear Removal?

Tummy tuck was done 7 months ago and been happy with it. Doctor recommended dog ear removal after 6 months post tummy tuck which I had yesterday plus liposuction and it looks like he moved the scar line lower so he moved the skin down. When I read on the dog ear recovery, I thought it would be an easier recovery but with the lipo and scar line moved down...when will I start feeling normal?

The liposuction is likely the bigger recovery component

+2

Thank you for the question.  A dog ear revision is simply an excision of the excess skin without undermining (dissecting) the tissue.  Since your scar was lowered I suspect you had some undermining of the tissue which is of course more in depth than a dog ear excision.  Liposuction also can involve a large surface area if a sizeable amount of liposuction is performed.  The combination of the two procedures can almost be like a revision tummy tuck.  I suspect that you will feel better in 1-2 weeks and perhaps 3-4 weeks to be able to stop wearing the abdominal binder.

Dr Remus Repta

Recovery following revisional surgery.

+2

Thanks for your question.  Although your surgery was not as involved as the original surgery, it's still surgery.  It will take a few weeks for you to have most of the pain abate.  It will take 3-6 weeks before you should resume full activity (depending on how much was done).  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from liposuction and dog ear excisions

+2

should be relatively straightforward and uncomplicated.  It is hoped you are well healed by now and if not, in communication with your surgeon.   I hope you are enjoying your new contours!

Curtis Wong, MD

Recovery After Dog Ear Removal?

+2

It sounds like you had a minor procedure and should expect a rapid recovery. I can't tell if you were asleep for the surgery or not, so it may have been more extensive than I thought.   A call to your surgeon who best knows what was done will get you your best response. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

Revision of a tummy tuck in Los Angeles

+1

Most dog-ear excisions take a short time to recover.  Some residual swelling may last several weeks, but that should quickly subside. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Recovery after Revisionary Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Generally speaking, revisionary tummy tuck surgery involves less discomfort and “recovery time” compared to the initial tummy tuck operation. This is especially true if no abdominal wall muscle work is necessary during the revisionary  tummy tuck operation. Commonly performed revisionary steps may include scar revision, lowering of the abdominal wall scar, excision of “dog ears” and additional liposuction surgery…

Of course, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to more precise information and/or reassurance.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.