What Can I Expect For Recovery Time From BA and TT w/ Lipo?

On May 11th I plan on having breast augmentation with memory gel implants, liposuction on stomach, hips and legs and a mini tummy tuck. I took 9 days off of work - is this enough time? Also, how long will it take me to see my results? I'm hoping to be able to enjoy this summer and look good. Thank you!

Recovery after Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+3

No, the majority of my patients require more than 9 days off work after breast augmentation and tummy tuck surgery (average 3-5 weeks). Much of your recovery time will depend on your specific situation and factors such as pain threshold, personality/disposition, amount of surgery performed,  and the exact type of work you perform.

Since you are about to undergo a major operation ( with significant physical and emotional ups and downs to be expected)  the following words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

What to expect after breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction

+3

It is important to remember that healing time and results vary from patient to patient.  After having a breast augmentation, mini tummy tuck, and liposuction of multiple areas, I would say that rest is very important for the first 7-10 days.  After that, you may return to work if your job is not very physically demanding. Even if you are able to return to work and are feeling great, remember that your body still has a great deal of healing to undergo. Exercise, lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk, and a lot of moving around should be avoided for 6-8 weeks.   You should see the start of your results from your mini tummy tuck and breast augmentation immediately. Keep in mind that you will be swollen when looking at yourself post operatively. The final result will take up to 3 months to reveal itself.  Liposuction results can be a bit more tricky. The liposuction technique is associated with a lot of swelling and fluid retention. It is not uncommon to feel that you are actually larger in the areas that you had suctioned after surgery than before.  Patients often notice some lumps and rippling in their skin immediately following liposuction which is typically directly related to swelling and will resolve with proper rest and constant compression from the garment your surgeon will provide you with to wear.  Again, allow yourself a good 3 months of healing from liposuction to see final results. Good luck and have have a great summer with your new body!

C. Andrew Salzberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Back to work after surgery.

+3

It all the depends on the type of work that you do. If he works in an office and your job is not physically demanding 9 days seems appropriate. If he dig ditches 6 weeks might be more appropriate.

You should expect to see the improvement from the breast enlargement and tummy tuck right away. The breast implants may take a bit of time to settle into position. The improvement from the liposuction may be overwhelmed early on by swelling that occurs after surgery and it is not uncommon for patients to say that their clothes feel tighter than they did before surgery when they return for a one-week followup visit..  The results for the liposuction should be noticeable for you by the summer . Good luck.

Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

+2

Hi and thanks for the question. After Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck with Liposuction,  I recommend for my patients a 6-8 week period of avoiding heavy lifting or causing the abdominal muscles to contract or tighten. So, it all depends on your job.

After a few months, the swelling and healing process usually stabilizes but there are some aspects such as the scars which change over a year. Best of luck!

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time from breast augmentation and tummy tuck with liposuction

+1

Hi!

When it comes to how much recovery time you will need off of work, you
need to consider several factors. First off, the type of work you do
affects how much time you'll need - do you do a lot of heavy lifting
or physically demanding activities? Also, whether or not you are
smoker (smoking slows down the healing process) and how high your pain
threshold is also affects the recovery period. I do suggest going into
detail with your board certified plastic surgeon on how long you may
need but usually I would recommend at least 7-10 days off.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Recovery time from breast augmentation, liposuction, and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. It would be my hope that your plastic surgeon or one of the surgeon's nurses answered these questions for you at your consultation. If not, then in general, about 1-2 weeks is the usual to get off pain medication, driving, and back to a desk job. If your job is physically demanding, then 4-6 is more like it.

You should see results immediately but it will take a total of about three months for the implants to drop into position and for the swelling from the liposuction to resolve.

Confirm all this and ask for preprinted instructions from your plastic surgeon's office.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Combination procedures

+1

Every one heals a bit differently so it is hard to predict.  Usually by two weeks you should be OK in most instances.