Can I Recover in Time for Softball Tryouts?

I've always been athletic, which means my body has too. I have arm & pectoral muscles like a man. I'm only 5'2 & 115 pounds, & I've always been embarrassed by my chest. My breast have developed some, but they do not go with my body. At all. I'm tired of having to wear padded bra's & padded sports bra's everywhere. I have softball tryouts the first week of college which is in September, about 14 weeks away. Would I have time to recover & tryout? & what would be the earliest I could hit & throw?

Breast Augmentation for the Athletic Type

+2

Way to go with the athletic body — you should be proud! As a general rule, I let my patients resume light cardio at 1 week and ramp it up over the next 2 to 3 weeks. By 4 weeks, they can go full force with their aerobic exercise. For tennis or softball, I usually have patients start back lightly at 4 to 6 weeks, depending on how they are recovering. I would think 12 to 14 weeks before tryouts should work out just fine. Good luck! And don’t forget to get specific instructions from your surgeon!

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

14 weeks is more than enough time to recover after breast augmentation for full athletic activity.

+2

I allow my patients to resume full activity after breast augmentation in four weeks provided they are healing normally. I see no problem with your timetable although this is something that is the responsibility of your surgeon. Listen to him.

Probably Enough Time After Breast Augmentation

+1
At the six week point it's possible to gradually return to low weight, high repetition resistance training aimed at the upper body, reconditioning the weak, tightened pectorals and shoulders. You should start with upper body exercises such as light dumbbell bench presses and kneeling push-ups, then work their way up from there. So, you may be ready but you should take it easy at first.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Softball after breast augmentation

+1

You can begin your cardiovascular workouts 3 weeks after breast augmentation and your weight training, throwing and hitting 6 weeks post op.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Returning to Softball after Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+1

Your plan seems reasonable but always best to check with your own plastic surgeon when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly how you are doing, whether you have experienced any complications, and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure and the softball season!

Breast Augmentation in Athletic Person

+1

In someone like you with significant pectoral muscles from athletic endeavors, I would never place breast implants sub muscularly. Since the reason for placing the implant under the muscle is to hide it somewhat, hopefully you have adequate breast tissue for cover in spite of your small breasts. this requires an examination. Using textured implants reduces the risk of capsaular contracture, the other reason for sub-muscular implants. When done this way, you should be able to get back to practice in just a few weeks and certainly be ready for tryouts in 14 weeks.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question.  Most physicians will be quite insistent on holding back from exercise for 4-6 weeks.  At that point, you can gradually get back into your daily  exercise regimen and should be able to be close to 100% by 8 weeks after surgery. 

Good luck!

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from breast augmentation

+1

I usually have my patients wait about 6-8 weeks after surgery to go back to vigorous exercise.  Good luck.

RECOVERY

+1

In about 6-8 weeks you should be recovered enough to be competitive.  You would need to have surgery no later than mid July. 

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Not Round Near Infra-mammary Incision

+1

For vigorous work outs I would suggest waiting 3 months. That would not really give you much time to train and get in shape for tryouts. 

If there is a time period at which you could do this when there is a longer break period, I would suggest holding off, assuming that playing softball is important! If this is the longest break and now is the best time, do it as soon as possible. 

All the best.