Am I a Candidate for Reconstructive Rhinoplasty?

About six months ago, I was in a car accident in which I lost a small portion of my nose, where the tip of the nose connects to the nostril. The right side of my nose was also cut straight through, from the bridge all the way down and through the columella.

I was left with some lumpiness and scarring. Will these factors prevent me from getting corrective surgery for my nose?

Probably require multiple reconstructive surgeries

+1

The accident that you had is very extensive to the soft tissues of the nose, and will probably require multiple reconstructive surgeries to ensure that the cartilaginous integrity of the nose is intact. The skin may have to be grafted and scar revisions may also be performed to include direct scar revisions and/or dermabrasion. It would really depend on the presenting issues and problems for such a complicated injury.

Not Rhinoplasty but Nasal Reconstruction

+1

It sounds that you suffered loss of skin and soft tissues of the lower third of the nose. The way the term rhinoplasty is used today usually means plastic nasal surgery with an intact skin and soft tissue envelope. You may need nasal reconstruction to restore structure and covering of the lost nasal portion. I certainly believe that you should consult with an experienced nasal surgeon to discuss current situation and plan the next step. Cartilage grafting and skin coverage with tissue from the forehead or cheek may be required.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

It won't prevent you from having it fixed

+1

You should see a rhinoplasty specialist. Whether you can have the surgery now or wait will depend on your healing. See a rhinoplasty specialist to discuss the various options available to you. I would see someone now.

Reconstruction is always an option

+1

Greetings,
I am sorry to hear about your accident but there are options to help with the problems you describe. Consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon would be helpful at this point. While waiting a little longer for things to heal further may be needed, some early interventions may help prevent signficant abnormal scarring. Meeting with a physician in person can help to determine what the best course of action would be.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reconstructive rhinoplasty

+1

These wounds wil not prevent you from getting reconstructive rhinoplasty, but it is important to understand that no one, no matter how skilled they are, can leave you with no scars after surgery. This means you will have scars. Hopefully they will be hidden or concealed by achieving excellent contours.

The goal is to first rebuild the framework which is made of bone and cartilage. This may require graft which os obtained from inside your nose, your years or your ribs (usually in that order depending on need).

Subsequent to that the goal will be to achieve skin coverage. This may require skin grafts (taken from a distant site) or skin rearranged from the remaining nasal or cheek tissues.

This may require more than one operation and occasionally some resurfacing laser, deramabrasion, skin needling, etc. to obtain an optimal result.

No

+1

You can have reconstructive surgery to fix the defect. There are multiple options including getting small graft from the ear or using tissue from the nasolabial area to fix the defect.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon