Reconstructive Breast (With Implants) Feel Tight?

It's been 2 and a half months since reconstructive breast surgery. I have size C cup implants. Though the swelling is at bay - the tight feeling of the breast skin feels tight if I don't use lotion and massage (4X a day). PS says I'm doing fine and they're looking great. He says I have about 1 more month to go for the 'more natural feeling and look' comes. My question is: if the breast skin feels tight around the implant does it mean the skin is still stretching?

Skin tight post recon

+2

This will take soem time for the tightness to go down.Massage and patience are your best friends.Just hang in there.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

2 months is much too early to

+2

Assess the final result.  As my colleagues have mentioned, radiation can change the skin, as well as contractures but in general, you are not really near a 'final' look until at least six months.  And after that, barring complications, the skin will continue to age and stretch along with the rest of your skin.  Continue massage and creams and wait for the time to pass, keep in touch with your plastic surgeon should any changes occur.  Good luck!

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Skin tightness after reconstruction

+2

I agree with Dr. Khoobehi, that without more information it would be extremely difficult to comment.  It would be hekllpful to know the type of mastectomy, what type of implant was used, was an expander placed prior to implant, was an acellular dermal matrix used, did you have radiation and do you have a capsular contracture.  I know this seems like a lot but they will be helpful in attempting to answer your questions.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Please send pictures and more information

+2

You did not mention if you had radiation tx, expander or the type of mastectomy. You may have  swelling, capsular contracture of too big of implant. More information would be great.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Will tighness subside around my implants

+1

Reconstructive surgery after mastecomy with expanders and implants has more issues with tightness esecially after tissue expansion.  You did not give any details about your expanders or the techniques used for the surgery.  Overall it is still early in the process.  Continue to follow up with your surgeon closely and if there are changes get let his office know so they can evaluate your concerns.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS