Reconstruction After Cancer. How Do I Find My Surgeon?

I was diagnosed with triple-negative breast cancer had a partial mastectomy & will recieve chemo for 8 weeks. Pathology was node negative + no evidence of lymphatic involvement but due to the fact that I have a number of risk factors for reccurence I will also have a prophelatic bi-lateral mastectomy. How do I find a Cosmetic Surgeon who does this type of reconstruction surgery and what type of reconstruction yields the best cosmetic results? I assume I'll need a Surgical Oncologist as well

Breast reconstruction options

+2

There are two major categories for breast reconstruction: 1) Implant-based reconstruction, and 2) autologous (own tissue) reconstruction.  You decision should be based on 1)your social need (can you take 3-6 weeks off from your work for autologous reconstruction), 2)cancer staging (need for radiation), 3) your preference.  Some people like the "look of implants" whereas others want to look more natural.  You should discuss all breast reconstructive options with your plastic surgeon as there are many variables to consider.  Find a plastic surgeon who is board certified by American Board of Plastic Surgery who is very familiar with breast reconstruction.

+2

The single most important factor determining your cosmetic result following mastectomy and reconstruction  is the quality and amount of skin left behind by your surgical oncologist

Plastic surgeons who perform breast reconstruction on a regular basis usually know who these surgeons are

Get a few opinions before you decide on the procedure

There are pros and cons to all.I most commonly perform the  adjustable saline implant procedure

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right Surgeon for Mastectomy and Breast Reconstruction after Chemotherapy

+2

I would recomend finding a team of a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon that can work in unison to perform a skin sparing mastectomy and begin your reconstruction in tandem. I would begin by speaking to your current provider to garner recommendations on who you should see. You can also reach out to the local breast cancer survivor and support groups in your area to determine which surgeons you would like to interview to perform this procedure for you. Good Luck!

Charles Kays, DMD, MD, FACS
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reconstruction Surgery- best results

+2

Hi Glendale,

Do not limit yourself to surgeons in your immediate area. If you are truly looking for the best, I would suggest looking at picture galleries to find the surgeon whose results you like best. I find that combining the Ultimate Breast Lift technique in conjunction with a TRAM renders the most esthetically pleasing result.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction after mastectomy

+2

Most breast surgeons work with who they feel offers good results for their patients. That's a good starting point for recommendations. You should meet with more than one to review your options. Best results are immediate reconstruction after skin ans if possible nipple sparing mastectomy. Since you are undergoing bilateral surgery, you may be a candidate for direct implant placement on both sides. Best of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Surgical Oncologist for mastectomy and Plastic Surgeon for breast recontruction

+2

A good place to start would be to ask the doctors who have currently been treating you for their recommendations.  They usually know who in your area does a good job with this type of surgery.

You can also ask for information about any breast cancer support groups in your area.  Many of the women who attend have had reconstruction and will likely share their experience, strength, and hope with you.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast Reconstruction

+2

For breast reconstruction many factors has to be taken by you  and your surgeon.

Get a referal to a good plastic surgeon from the oncologist and or the general (Breast) surgeon.

Best results are immediate breast reconstruction with skin sparing mastectomy.

The type of reconstruction depend on your body habitus, your activity level, your down time.

All options should be discussed

1: implant reconstruction

2: Tram reconstruction

3: Latismuss dorsi reconstruction

4: Free Flap reconstruction

The pros and cons of each of these then you can decide what is best for you

Breast reconstruction

+1
Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being seen in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Breast reconstruction

+1

There are two major categories for breast cancer reconstruction:

(1) implant-based and
(2) using your own tissue (autologous).
There are pro’s and con’s to each reconstructive modality. No one reconstruction is the best. Both implants-based and tissue-only autologous reconstruction can provide outstanding results. It is important to tailor a reconstructive plan that meets the goal of each individual patient and also respects the breast cancer treatment plan.

In terms of autologous (tissue reconstruction), my preference is to look to the excess skin and fat in your abdomen (tissue normally thrown away in a tummy tuck) as a donor site for breast reconstruction - through procedures such as a DIEP or muscle sparing TRAM flap.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast Reconstruction

+1

It's best to check for local board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeons in your area. Most do breast reconstruction unless a free flap is necessary, in which case specialized hospitals may offer this. Best of luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD