Recommended Treatment to Reduce Small Nasal Bump

So, about four years ago I got hit in the face with a basketball, this caused a small bump to appear in the bridge of my nose, near the top. I am fifteen and a half, and looking for advice to deal with this. Would just filing it down be the ideal solution? I´m not looking at any other changes, just the removal of the hump.

Bump on nasal dorsum

+1

A small bump on your nasal dorsum may be treated conservatively with rasping of this area to bring the bump down and even with the nasal profile.  This may be performed on an outpatient basis without difficulty. 

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
LeBeau Clinic

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of "Small" Nasal Bump

+1

Treatment will depend on how small your "small" bump really is. Hopefully, minimal filing (rasping) is all that will be neessary. After examining you, your surgeon will describe your alternatives and what will be done at the time of surgery. If the bump is not significant and you plan to participate in contact sports, at least consider delaying intervention.

Treatment of Bump on the Bridge of Nose

+1

Ideally photos are helpful to most carefully evaluate the problem.  From your description it appears that you have a small dorsal hump.  Dorsal hump can consist of boney and/or cartilaginous deformities of the nasal bridge.  Via incisions made inside the nose, the boney deformity can be rasped ("filed") down and the cartilage deformity can be removed precisely as well.  Good Luck....Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for a small dorsal bump

+1

Ideally, a photo is needed. However, most small dorsal bumps(bumps on the bridge of the nose) are easily removed with gentle rasping(filing) of the boney area and possible excision of cartilage as well. This is a done with a small incision on an outpatient basis. Please seek consultation witha board-certified plastic surgeon and  go with one or both of your parents.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Rasping or filing a small nose bump hump from trauma injury

+1

Gentle rasping of a small hump (less than 3 mm) may be an excellent option to treat a small or subtle nasal hump.

Treatment to Reduce Small Nasal Bump

+1

Most likely filing down could improve this appearance. But without a posted photo hard to advise. See with a parent a boarded plastic surgeon. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Nasal bump

+1

Hi Houston,

If it is just a small bump on the nose and all other parts of the nose are normal, a simple hump reduction (usually done with a rasp) should be sufficient.  This would usually be able to be accomplished through intranasal incisions.

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small dorsal hump

+1

The same thing happened to my Dad a few weeks before his wedding but he never got it completely straightened out.  A bump if it is small can be filed down sometimes without having to do anything more.

Treating small bump on nasal bridge

+1

If the bump on your bridge is small and involves only the bone of the nose (upper third) and not the cartilage a simple filing may be all you need. If the bump extends further down on the nose additional cartilage grafting procedures may be recommened to prevent postoperative pinching down the road.

Whether or not you're the right age for surgery depends on several factors. Generally, surgeons wait until a patient has stopped growing. This can be in the 15-16 year-old range for females and closer to 17-18 for males (from your question I couldn't tell if you're male or female). This isn't absolute, though, and a consultation with a plastic surgeon would allow for a more detailed discussion.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Bump on the nose

+1

Dear Rhinoplasty patient from Texas,
In my practice, I would prefer to wait until my male patients have reached the age of 18 before Rhinoplasty is performed. If the bump is quite small, and involves bone and not cartilage, it can be simply filed down. Usually, the bump may also involve cartilage, which still can be taken down by a closed rhinoplasty surgery, and not require any breaking of the bones.

Kevin Sadati, DO