Recommended Volume of Restylane on Upper Lip?

Hi. I will be going in for my Restylane injections to my lips and was wondering how much is enough. I have lips already and really only want to add a touch to the top.

Would you say half a vial is enough? Too much? How much is in a vial? Thank you!

Volume of restylane for upper lip

+1

Most people do not need more than 0.5 mL of restylane to the upper lip (many need less). I would encourage you to ask your doctor to show you, in process the appearance of your upper lip as you are undergoing the filler procedure. If you just want a slight "pout" to the upper lip, restylane can be injected into the lip border/lining. If you want more volume, the body of the lip can be injected. Be prepared for a few days of significant lip swelling after your procedure.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Sometimes less is better

+1

There is no hard and fast answer. Every patients anatomy is different and how much to fill the lip is a personal preference. Some like their lips very full and thus require a larger amount of filler ( 1cc or greater). For someone who wants a subtle enhancement, there is always the option to inject only along the borders to create more structure to the lip and show more of the red lip. This only requires less than 0.5cc per lip. Another option is to only add to the central lip itself to create volume and a nice pout or volume to the middle part of the lip.

You need to consider, also, that there is a balance that must be achieved between upper and lower lip so that a natural look is maintained. so don't ignore the lower lip if it needs some volume to maintain balance.

Consult your dermatologist or other experienced physician and go over these options.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

There is a 0.4cc Restylane, perfect for touch-ups

+1

While I cannot responsibly tell you the volume you need for correction (the decision is between you and your dermatologist), for a less expensive option, try just the 0.4cc Restylane syringe into the tubercles of the lips to give a pouty, but natural boost to your lips.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Volume is a personal issue

+1

It's difficult to tell how much Restylane to use in a patients lips without a personal examination. There are also different techniques for lip enhancement. As stated above fillers are used like lip liner to create shape and like lipstick to give fullness. You can even use it to accentuate the Cupid's bow of the upper lip. However, the bottom lip should 1 1/2 to 2 times the size of the upper lip. A common mistake is to only enhance the upper lip.

As a general guideline, a half cc syringe is usually good for one lip or to give shape to both, as in the Cupid's bow. For a nice enhancement, a full cc is better. You can always have less used if its the first time. It's easier to do more than to "do less."

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Restylane in lips

+1

I tell my patients (especially those that are new to me) that you can always put more in, but you can't take it out. The ideas is to be conservative at first since the doctor's idea and the patient's idea of hwo much is enough may be different. Just make sure you tell your doctor that you want a small change. That way, if you are not satisfied, he can always reinject you a couple weeks later. Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD

Lips

+1

Restylane comes in 1 cc syringes. For your first time, 1 cc is likely enough. Remember, you can always inject more so be a little more conservative until you understand the results better. Also, the lips can be injected along the border (white roll) and/or into the body of the lips. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon so you can decide where you want the product injected.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Restylane in lips

+1

Everyone's lips are different, but if you already have a lip and are less than 50 years-old, I would say that a half-syringe is a great starting point since you could always add more later. My philosophy is that its always easier to add more filler than to deal with too much filler and have to try to take it away (more cost effective this way too!). A syringe typically contains 1-1.1 cc of filler, so 0.5-0.6 of filler is a great place to start. After you've had filler a couple of times and played with the amount, you'll know how much you need to make you happy, while still looking natural.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon