What is the Recommended Time Between Removing and Replacing an Implant?

I posted "What's considered normal incision leakage after a breast lift/reaugmentation". Thanks for the great responses. On that Sunday my PS removed both implants. Drainage was sent to lab for diagnoses (awaiting results). Now, phase 2. Currently, I have drainage tubes (minimum drainage). My breasts seem to be healing well. I'm in no rush to have them replaced (fear). But, would like a feel for what's normal. My PS said in a few weeks?! Just wondering?!

Breast implants

+2

If the removal of the implants was due to infection, then you should wait atleast 6 months before reimplantation

Replacement

+2

If the cultures are positive, then I believe 6 months is warranted, depending on the specific organism.

I'm glad the forum helped!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Timing to Replace Breast Implants after Removal?

+1

The ideal timing to replace breast implants after removal will depend on each patient's specific situation and ultimately becomes a judgment call. Factors that go into consideration include the extent of  infection/inflammation present, the specific organism cultured,  and quality/elasticity of the overlying breast tissue/skin.

If in doubt, best to wait a longer ( rather than shorter) period of time.

How long should you wait before having breast implants replaced

+1

This depends more on how you are healing and if you had any positive cultures, but as a general rule most patients should wait 3-6 months before having a new implant replaced. Your surgeon should be sure there are no signs of infection before replacing the implant, even it takes longer than 6 months.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Typical waiting period after removal of implant is 3-6 months

+1

Waiting 3-6 months after removal of the implant is standard, depending on the extent of the infection.  I would agree with you from your pictures and be in no rush to replace your implants.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD