What is the Recommended Time Between Removing and Replacing an Implant?

I posted "What's considered normal incision leakage after a breast lift/reaugmentation". Thanks for the great responses. On that Sunday my PS removed both implants. Drainage was sent to lab for diagnoses (awaiting results). Now, phase 2. Currently, I have drainage tubes (minimum drainage). My breasts seem to be healing well. I'm in no rush to have them replaced (fear). But, would like a feel for what's normal. My PS said in a few weeks?! Just wondering?!

Breast implants

If the removal of the implants was due to infection, then you should wait atleast 6 months before reimplantation

If the cultures are positive, then I believe 6 months is warranted, depending on the specific organism.

I'm glad the forum helped!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Timing to Replace Breast Implants after Removal?

The ideal timing to replace breast implants after removal will depend on each patient's specific situation and ultimately becomes a judgment call. Factors that go into consideration include the extent of  infection/inflammation present, the specific organism cultured,  and quality/elasticity of the overlying breast tissue/skin.

If in doubt, best to wait a longer ( rather than shorter) period of time.

How long should you wait before having breast implants replaced

This depends more on how you are healing and if you had any positive cultures, but as a general rule most patients should wait 3-6 months before having a new implant replaced. Your surgeon should be sure there are no signs of infection before replacing the implant, even it takes longer than 6 months.

William Bruno, MD

Typical waiting period after removal of implant is 3-6 months

Waiting 3-6 months after removal of the implant is standard, depending on the extent of the infection.  I would agree with you from your pictures and be in no rush to replace your implants.