Recommended General Anesthesia Due to Large Area and Can Be More Aggressive with Cellulaze. Common?

Inner and outer thigh, buttocks

Anesthesia for Cellulaze

+2

I typically recommend general anesthesia when treating larger areas with Cellulaze for several reasons.  First and foremost, patient's remain more comfortable with IV sedation or general anesthesia.  In addition, when treating larger areas, such as your case with multiple areas being treated, this often demands more local anesthesia than can safely be administered at one time. When performing Cellulaze under general anesthesia, low dosages of local anesthesia are also administered, which provides better post operative comfort for the patient.  I hope this is helpful. 

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

General vs. Local Anesthesia for Cellulaze a Matter of Anesthetic Dose

+2

The issue of whether or not Cellulaze can be done under local anesthesia has to do with the safe upper limit of the dose of local anesthetic (typically lidocaine) that can be given to someone, based on their weight.  If we can't get enough lidocaine in to numb you properly because of the large area to be treated, we need to do it under general, or stage it into more than one session under local anesthetic.  Whether local or general doesn't determine how "aggressive" we do the procedure.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia for Cellulaze

+1
During the Cellulaze procedure, local anesthesia is typically used. Consult with your surgeon to find out more about Cellulaze and if it is the best procedure for you. Good luck with your procedure.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Anesthesia for Cellulaze

+1

For very large areas of treatment, I will recommend TIVA (IV anesthesia).  With TIVA, you do not need a breathing tube but are comfortable and asleep with IV medications.   I feel my patients are more relaxed and comfortable with IV anesthesia for larger areas of cellulite treatment.   Please talk to your Cellulaze plastic surgeon to learn more about his/her recommendations

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

General anesthesia and Cellulaze

+1

When treating the patient with large areas of cellulite I can be more aggressive and less time spent under a general anesthesia.  People who have this done under local may get too high a dose of local anesthesia too.  I think those doctors doing this procedure under local anesthesia should try having it done....it can hurt.

Thomas P. McHugh, MD

Cellulaze can be performed with local anesthesia, IV sedation or general anesthesia

+1

Thank you for your question.  I am certain that many women will benefit from the answers to your question since this treatment is relatively new and revolutionary.  Congratulations on your decision to treat your cellulite with Cellulaze! 

The Cellulaze procedure can be performed with local anesthesia, IV sedation or general anesthesia if your surgeon has all options.  For small and medium sized areas, local anesthesia may be preferred but it will depend on the anxiety level the patient has about the procedure.  For larger areas, local anesthesia may not be an option if you would like the procedure to be performed in one treatment due to the amount of local anesthesia required.  In addition, larger areas take longer for the procedure to be completed and you may become more uncomfortable.  Therefore for large areas, I would recommend splitting the areas into two procedures if local anesthesia is requested by the patient or either IV sedation or general anesthesia if the patient prefers the procedure to be completed in one treatment.  I hope this helps.  Best Wishes!  Dr. Vinyard

William J. Vinyard, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze can be done with local or general anesthesia

+1

I've done cellulaze with both local and general anesthesia.  Because cellulaze is done right under the skin, it is pretty easy to get adequate anesthesia with just local.  However, there are limits to what can be done under local anesthesia because of the risk of over dosage with the local anesthetic.  Also, some people don't tolerate local very well, mostly because of anxiety.  Your doctor may feel you won't be comfortfortable with local anesthesia.  Intravenous sedation is another option.  Stronger sedating medicines can be given i.v. (with the appropriate monitoring) allowing bigger procedures to be done and more anxious people to be treated without general anesthesia.  It is nice to have a surgeon that has all of those options available to you.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze under general anesthesia, how common?

+1

Cellulaze is done mostly under local anesthesia which is the tumescent solution. This contains lidocaine and your surgeon can calculate out how much you can have safely. This depends on you weight. I do my Cellulaze procedure under local anesthesia with oral anxiolytics (Xanax) and an intramuscular Demerol shot prior to the start of the procedure. I've done all those areas that you listed in one session. The other option is to have it done at two separate sessions about one week apart and you will avoid general anesthesia and the additional cost. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

General vs Local Anesthesia for Cellulaze

+1

Cellulaze cases involving local anesthesia only can limit the number of squares or areas treated because of how much local anesthetic can be used to control discomfort.  The local anesthesia for these cases contains lidocaine and we must stay below a certain amount for the patient's safety.  Larger cases can be performed under general anesthesia because we are not limited by how much local anesthetic can be injected.  If you don't want general anesthesia, your other option is to have 2 separate procedures with local anesthetic.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Cellulaze anesthesia

+1

I usually perform Cellulaze under local anesthesia, but also offer sedation anesthesia for patients who desire this or are having very large areas treated.  This could be determined at the consultation.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon