Are There Any Recommended Exercises to Help with Recovery and Healing After a Breast Augmentation?

Activity and exercise post breast augmentation

+1

Post-breast augmentation surgery, I ask my patients to refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous activity for about 6-8 weeks to prevent discomfort and aid in the healing process. Massaging the breasts after surgery is recommended to prevent capsular contracture and to help the implants settle into the pocket. Patient’s are able to return to the gym in 2 weeks and participate in lower body exercises but should avoid upper body workouts to allow the muscles to heal.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Post Breast Augmentation Exercise

+1

I instruct all my breast augmentation patients to begin a series of stretching exercises in the recovery room and to continue for the first two weeks to rapid return them to their daily activities. i encourage them to shower and wash their hair the day of or after surgery to stretch the pectoral muscles  and prevent spasm. Pain is less and recovery is quicker. This rapid recovery has been beneficial for my patients and i highly recommend it.

Richard Linderman, MD

Recovery Following Breast Augmentation

+1

I do not ask patients to do any particular exercises following their breast augmentations.  I place almost all implants below the muscle and feel that the muscle massages the implants without the need for any external massage.  I very rarely see capsular contracture when I am able to convince patients to use appropriately sized implants.  I do feel that augmentation (and all) patients recover more rapidly if they are up and about, walking, etc., but not doing things which will place pressure on the incision.

John Whitt, MD

Recovery exercise after breast augmentation

+1

We seem to moving the opposite direction after breast augmentation, away from massages and exercises. Many now will keep the chest and breast still and well supported in a bra and band to to reduce soreness and allow the tissue to heal. Exercises, not specific to the breast, can start after three to four weeks for the lower body. Massages don't seem to be of help, and exercising sore tissues may be counterproductive as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Exercise recomendations after breast augmentation

+1

I assume you are talking about a submuscular augmentation.  We give specific exercises to be performed twice a day to move the implant around in the pocket.  We believe these exercise should be performed twice a day for ever.  Also gel implants should be changed out periodically throughout your life.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Breast Augmentation Exercises

+1

I like to have breast augmentation patients wait about one week to begin gently massage therapy of the breast pockets using a vitamin E/aloe based moisterizer.  I instruct the patients to gently massage from the upper pole of the breast working down and then repeat the treatment from below working to the superior pole of the breast.  The is done for 5-10 minutes twice a day.

Leonard Tachmes, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

+1

Because I always go under the muscle, I ask my patients NOT to do pec exercises for 2-3 months after surgery so as to not be pulling the implants away from the place I put them.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS