Recommended Type of Breast Implant for Active Women?

What kind of Breast Implants would you use on a 5'9" 120lbs woman who works out everyday? I wear a 32A now and would like to go up a lot in size. I'm 29 yrs and 2 kids.

Breast Implant for Active Person

+3

There are 2 major considerations for women like you. First, because you are relatively thin, you want an implant that feels as natural as possible. This would be a silicone implant rather than saline. Secondly, you probably use your arms a lot. If so, the implant needs to go over the muscle, otherwise it deforms every time you use your arms. It also may not project well because of the strength of the muscle. The muscle may also develop poor function since it must be partially detached from the chest. In order to place the muscle above the muscle and not have an increased risk for tight scar developing around the implant, a subfascial placement of a textured implant is necessary. I have had many patients like you. All have been happy with this approach.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Active women can have breast implants

+1

I think that active women can have breast implants.  However, they should be prepared to take at least a couple of days off after surgery.  I do not recommend heavy exercise, heavy lifting, running, for at least two weeks after breast surgery.  However, driving and walking is safe within two to three days after surgery.  I think that the type of implant, whether silicone or saline is not a factor for active women.  Either type is safe. 

James Tang, MD

Implant choices

+1

Choosing the right implants for you takes a good physical exam and a thorough conversation reagrding your goals. I can not do that in a forum like this.

+1

Going up "a lot" in size and have a very active lifestyle are somewhat contradictory statements. IT would be best to give your input to the surgeon using sizers is your best approach to get a satisfactory outcome for your lifestyle.  

Breast implants in the active person

+1

Most women who are athletic and active have low body fat which means the consistency or "feel" of the implant is more important, so this means that silicone gel is likely to be a better choice. The more important issue is the decision about over or under the muscle; in women with low body fat, the extra coverage by going under is very important, but the downside is that the breast may distort or 'animate" with activity. There are some techniques to help balance these considerations. More info here: http://www.drbaxter.com/breast_implants_athletic_woman.html.

Richard Baxter, MD

Choice of breast implants in active women

+1

I have found that by choosing an appropriate dimension/volume of a gel implant in an active woman, she can achieve a gratifying augmentation that does not limit her lifestyle. I still choose a partially under the muscle placement because it does not diminish your strength and after appropriate recovery, you have the benefit of more coverage of the upper inner breast gdiminishing the risks of rippling and wrinkliing. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Working out with implants

+1

I have a lot of patients who have low % body fat and are very athletic. I usually recommend gel (cohesive) implants in the subfascial position.

Subfascail placement was described about 8 years ago by a famous Brazilian plastic surgeon Ruth Graff.

Above the muscle has too much risk of the edges of the implants showing. Beneath the muscle has too much of a gap over the breast bone and even more catastrophic, in many instances vigorous use of your arms may result in unnatural movement of your breast. (Just the thing for a step class).

Subfascial placement provides an extra tissue layer over the implant helping to smooth the edges while still permitting the implants to be placed closer to the midline and avoiding unnatural breast movements.

Donald Kress, MD
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Best Implant for You

+1

Dear Blackhawkwife,

It sounds from your measurements that you are quite lean. Without the benefit of seeing photos, I surmise that with an A cup there is not a lot of tissue covering your chest muscles or ribs for that matter.

In this instance I would recommend a silicone gel filled implant placed under the muscle. Not too large! This would give you the best chance of a a natural result with fewer potential problems.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

A submuscular silicone gel implant would be best

+1

A woman of your body type and activity, you most likely have minimal breast tissue and thin skin. A sub muscular or under the muscle augmentation would reduce the chances of rippling and show through the skin. A silicone gel implant would also reduce those risks. I do have concerns about you wanting to be very large. If you are physically active, it may reduce some of you active abilities if you go to large with an augmentation. You are also very thin for your height and will not have much support for a large silicone implant in the breast area.

Seek out a well qualified, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to advise you on your choices. See pre and post operative photos to help evaluate implant size and final result choices.

Good Luck!

David A. Dreyfuss, MD

Breast implant size

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.