Recommended Age for Male Breast Reduction?

My son is 14 yrs old, he has quite large breasts, he is slightly overweight but his breasts are getting bigger. The surgeon said he has cyst behind his nipple and they need to be removed and he also needs lipo on them. Is this ok for him to proceed at his age? He has never had any surgery nor anesthetic.

Adolescent Gynecomastia- When to Operate

Hi nikki2626,

Thanks for the post. This is a very important topic as gynecomastia can affect a significant number of teenage boys.  It is not unusual for boys going through puberty to experience some form of breast enlargement. In the vast majority of them, it resolves in the space of 2-3 years. For that reason I typically do not advise surgery unless they have had the issue for longer than that. In addition, one needs to ensure that there are no other medical issues that may be responsible for the gynecomastia. For these reasons, I advise to be seen by a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

There is no specific age that surgery is recommended for teenager boys with  gynecomastia. I think the best medicine involves evaluation of the patient by his pediatrician and referral to a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon when causes of  gynecomastia have been ruled out/ treated.
Generally, it will be best for the young man to be as physically and emotionally mature prior to proceeding with surgery. This “maturity” will improve the chances of successful outcome (as well as an understanding of the procedure and its potential risks/complications)  and minimize the chances that further surgery will be necessary in the future.
It will also behoove the young man to be at a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with surgery.
I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Gynecomastia Treatment Best When At Least 18 Years Old

Changes in the male breast are not uncommon following puberty. In some cases breast growth may occur for several years following this event. In addition, patients who develop gynecomastia often experience spontaneous resolution of this condition. For these reasons treatment of gynecomastia is typically delayed until patients are at least eighteen years of age.

There are always exceptions to the rule and it’s important that these be recognized. In some cases gynecomastia may cause severe psychosocial problems and for this reason surgery should be performed at an early age. In other cases the magnitude of gynecomastia may be so severe that early intervention may be necessary. Under these circumstances a secondary revision may be necessary at a later date.

If concerns regarding this condition exist, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. 

Adolescent Male Breast Reduction

Ideally, gynecomastia surgery is delayed until full development, around age 18 after adolescent hormonal influenced breast development ceases. Sometimes it will resolve to a degree afterwards. Also if your child is overweight, often the breasts will diminish with weight loss once in the normal range. However I have operated on several adolescent males to develop gynecomastia for those stigmatized and  traumatized by the size of his breasts in severe cases with good results. Yes it is possible they will grow again and another procedure may be required for best results, Discuss the risk vs benefits with your board certified plastic surgeon that has experience in this age group. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Age for gynecomastia surgery

Ideally, surgery is performed at about age 18 because it is not uncommon for adolescent males to develop gynecomastia which then resolves later in their teens. However, if your son is particularly traumatized by the size of his breasts and has a severe case, I would operate sooner. For example, I treated two brothers with familial gynecomastia who were champion swimmers but embarrassed to take off their shirts because of breast size. Both went on to win championships as well as full athletic scholarships and then I operated on their father and grandfather. If your son is overweight, my first recommendation would be a weight loss program to assess whether this improves the condition. Also, hormonal abnormalities should be ruled out prior to the decision for surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Surgery is usually at 18

We usually wait until thte boy has stopped growing and maybe even started tok get smaller. Many boys,like me, out grew it in the late teens and twenties.

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Recommended age for male breast reduction surgery.

Male breast reduction is performed when the condition is a concern for the patient.  If done in early teens, a secondary procedure may be necessary.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Most gynecomastia disappears without surgery.

About 30% of males going through puberty get some mild gynecomastia.  Most of the time is disappears within a couple of years.   The decision to proceed surgically depends on the magnitude of the problem and it's relationship to puberty.

Recommended Age for Gynecomastia Surgery

This is a great question.  Many adolescents battle with Gynecomastia and it can have severe effects on their mental health. Your first step should  be to consult a specialist in this field somewhere in your area.  You may even decide that you may want to travel to a surgeon that specializes in Gynecomastia reduction surgery. I have operated on many adolescents and liposuction is not the only thing that needs to be done. The breast tissue needs to be removed as well. i hope we have helped you. Best of luck to you and your son.

Miguel Delgado, MD