Recommended Age for Male Breast Reduction?

My son is 14 yrs old, he has quite large breasts, he is slightly overweight but his breasts are getting bigger. The surgeon said he has cyst behind his nipple and they need to be removed and he also needs lipo on them. Is this ok for him to proceed at his age? He has never had any surgery nor anesthetic.

Gynecomastia Treatment Best When At Least 18 Years Old

+1

Changes in the male breast are not uncommon following puberty. In some cases breast growth may occur for several years following this event. In addition, patients who develop gynecomastia often experience spontaneous resolution of this condition. For these reasons treatment of gynecomastia is typically delayed until patients are at least eighteen years of age.

There are always exceptions to the rule and it’s important that these be recognized. In some cases gynecomastia may cause severe psychosocial problems and for this reason surgery should be performed at an early age. In other cases the magnitude of gynecomastia may be so severe that early intervention may be necessary. Under these circumstances a secondary revision may be necessary at a later date.

If concerns regarding this condition exist, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Adolescent Male Breast Reduction

+1

Ideally, gynecomastia surgery is delayed until full development, around age 18 after adolescent hormonal influenced breast development ceases. Sometimes it will resolve to a degree afterwards. Also if your child is overweight, often the breasts will diminish with weight loss once in the normal range. However I have operated on several adolescent males to develop gynecomastia for those stigmatized and  traumatized by the size of his breasts in severe cases with good results. Yes it is possible they will grow again and another procedure may be required for best results, Discuss the risk vs benefits with your board certified plastic surgeon that has experience in this age group. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Age for gynecomastia surgery

+1
Ideally, surgery is performed at about age 18 because it is not uncommon for adolescent males to develop gynecomastia which then resolves later in their teens. However, if your son is particularly traumatized by the size of his breasts and has a severe case, I would operate sooner. For example, I treated two brothers with familial gynecomastia who were champion swimmers but embarrassed to take off their shirts because of breast size. Both went on to win championships as well as full athletic scholarships and then I operated on their father and grandfather. If your son is overweight, my first recommendation would be a weight loss program to assess whether this improves the condition. Also, hormonal abnormalities should be ruled out prior to the decision for surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Surgery is usually at 18

+1

We usually wait until thte boy has stopped growing and maybe even started tok get smaller. Many boys,like me, out grew it in the late teens and twenties.

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Recommended age for male breast reduction surgery.

+1

Male breast reduction is performed when the condition is a concern for the patient.  If done in early teens, a secondary procedure may be necessary.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Most gynecomastia disappears without surgery.

+1

About 30% of males going through puberty get some mild gynecomastia.  Most of the time is disappears within a couple of years.   The decision to proceed surgically depends on the magnitude of the problem and it's relationship to puberty.

Recommended Age for Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

This is a great question.  Many adolescents battle with Gynecomastia and it can have severe effects on their mental health. Your first step should  be to consult a specialist in this field somewhere in your area.  You may even decide that you may want to travel to a surgeon that specializes in Gynecomastia reduction surgery. I have operated on many adolescents and liposuction is not the only thing that needs to be done. The breast tissue needs to be removed as well. i hope we have helped you. Best of luck to you and your son.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Gynecomastia appropriate age

+1

At age 14, your son is a bit young to undergo gynecomastia surgery. I would wait until he has completed puberty. It is probably best to wait until he is at least in his late teens.

Ideal age for male breast reduction

+1

There is no ideal age for a male breast reduction. However 14 years old seems a bit young. During puberty, the male body is exposed to many hormones. These hormones may alter the shape and size of the breasts temporarily. At this age, I would have a plastic surgeon evaluating the patient and to check for masses and perform a complete full body physical exam. I would also wait to see if these large breasts may result on their own. If they do not, a male breast reduction may be performed as an older teenager.

Pat Pazmino, MD