Recommendations on Volume for Small A Cup?

I'm 5'9 tall and 130 lbs, and I wear an small A cup. I'm hoping to be a full C after my surgery. My surgeon recommended 450cc. I'm getting mentor silicone gel implants under the muscle. I'm wondering whether those will be too big and if I should get the 350-400cc's.

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Need measurements to determine optimal implant size

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to say because we do not have your measurements or a picture of your frame.  It depends on the base width of your breast and what width implant the surgeon is using.  In general between 100 and 150cc is a cup size but again it depends a lot on the widths.  If he/she is using a wider rather than a narrower implant, the volume is partially going to be distributed in the width.  If he/she is using a narrower implant, the volume is going to be distributed more in the projection (compared to the wider implant).  This will affect how big the breast looks.  Did you have a chance to try on sizes in a bra of actual implants? This can help you visualize the volume in relation to your proportions.  As already mentioned the Vectra can help also.  Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Cup size

+1

450cc implants are pretty big, but at 5'9 it may be ok for you. It depends on your chest wall diameter, your breast tissue laxity plus also the distance between your nipple and inframammary fold. If your surgeon has customised the implant to these dimensions, then you should be fine.

You may consider using 3D Vectra technology to help you choose an implant? It may not be 100% accurate, but I find this does empower you in choosing the prefect implant.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Selecting an implant size

+1

Either a 450 or 400 cc implant should be fine.  The difference between a 350 and 450 cc implant is 100 cc which will be about 1/2 cup size.  I hope that this helps with your decision making process.  

+1

From your description the 450 cc implants sound about right for a large C cup. The best way to determine appropriate implant size is to try on sizers in your PS's office. I don't worry so much about cup size, what is more important is the patient picking an implant they are comfortable with.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size to be a Full C

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

Unfortunately there is no way to answer your question definitively, even with all of the statistics you have provided. Photos at the least, and in person examination would be necessary. If you wish to be a full "C" I suggest you meet with your doctor again to discuss your expectations, make sure that he/she understands them and that you're both on the same page.
Good Luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Best implant size

+1

Choosing the right implant size for you will require an exam in person. If you have decided on a volume with your surgeon but are still unsure, you can check with a baggy test.

Implant size question

+1

It is very difficult to predict what cup size you will be after your procedure.  Cup sizes are not standardized.  So a D cup in one designer could be a C cup or B cup in another designer.   This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant volume question

+1

First, bra manufacturers to not have standard cup sizes so your final cup size will depend on where you buy your bras.  Second, every patient differs with regard to height, weight, body frame, starting cup size, desired cup size, etc.  There is no formula that we use to help determine the proper volume needed.  Therefore, determining the correct volume to use for each patient must be determined individually in consultation with the examining plastic surgeon who can weigh all of the factors involved and assist you in deciding on the proper volume, type, and style of implant to use.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast Implant size

+1

Your height and weight although important in your overall proportions, are not very helpful in determining the implant size.  The 3-dimensional sizing of your breast, the skin quality and the amount of breast tissue would aid in choosing the appropriate size of the breast implant.  You should review with the Plastic Surgeon the rational behind the implant selection and if possible try the sizer or computer modeling to assist you in making the right choice. 

Alexander Golger, MD