Recommendation for Rhinoplasty Plastic Surgeon from Austin, TX?

I am looking for a recommendation for a plastic surgeon to perform a rhinoplasty. I met with a couple and found one that I am happy with. On paper, he meets all the criteria: Board certified, hospital affiliated, he was the Texas Plastic Assoc. President and Chief of Plastics at a major hospital for 3 years. Is this enough to know that I can trust my face in his hands? What else should I look for? 

+2

The most important of the titles you've mentioned is his board certification as a plastic surgeon (be sure it's ABPS). The remaining titles bear no significance on the level of his surgical skills.

You now need to see if he's artistic. Evaluate some of his other work, ask around about him until you hear a few comments and lastly, evaluate one more plastic surgeon. I think everything about a surgeon is important. His bedside manner, other results, his attire, neatness, office, photo album, letterhead, everything and anything.

I know of several that are from excellent training and practice in the Austin area that should be considered by anyone seeking an Austin plastic surgeon. Adam Weinfeld MD and Kelly Tjelmeland MD are both excellent, both very qualified, intelligent, board certified plastic surgeons to be considered. I also happen to know that there is much talent in Austin.

As you have, continue seeking the one that you are most comfortable with. When you meet, ask some tough questions. Look at some before and afters then ask around. You only have one chance for a primary Rhinoplasty.

Best of luck on your search.

Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon in Austin Texas - Dr. Dustin Reid

+1

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your question. I believe I have a unique perspective on your question because I am a board-certified plastic surgeon in Austin, Texas who has also had a rhinoplasty. Dr. Dustin Reid at Restora Austin Plastic Surgery Centre performed my nasal re-shaping, and I recommend him without reservation. He's the best, both from a training standpoint and from his experience and technical skill. He is double board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery.  He's also a member of the ASPS, the ASAPS and the Rhinoplasty Society.  All of these qualifications are extremely important and necessary when choosing your surgeon, but equally important is finding a surgeon who is an expert in nasal re-shaping and who will listen to your specific concerns and goals.  Many would say that I didn't "need" a rhinoplasty, but my nose had been broken as a teenager so I had a slight dorsal hump and my tip was ill-defined.  I'm petite and I always thought my nose was too wide for my face. I had always wanted these issues corrected but as a plastic surgeon, I had seen so many horrible rhinoplasty results and feared the "operated on" look with the ski-slope, etc..  I wanted subtle, natural results.  Dr. Reid happens to be my partner and seeing his beautiful rhinoplasty results over the years made me second guess my original decision to not have my nasal flaws corrected. Even though we are partners, he treated me just like a patient and made me come in for an "official" consultation.  He really listened to my concerns, and we did both 2D and 3D imaging.  The 3D imaging really allowed me to see what my results would look like from multiple angles.  It's been over a year and I love my new nose.  When I tell patients I've had my nose done, they always say, "Your nose looks great.  I can't tell that you've had a nose job!".  Isn't that the point? Comments like those are the best compliments, both to me and to Dr. Reid.  A great nose job draws attention to other facial features like your eyes.  A bad nose job draws attention to itself.  I encourage you to schedule a rhinoplasty consultation with Dr. Reid to discuss your goals and options.  He will perform 2D and 3D imaging along with a thorough examination to devise and individualized surgical plan. Let me know if you have any additional questions.  I'm happy to share my experience.

Ashley Gordon, MD, FACS

Board- Certified Female Plastic Surgeon, Austin, Texas

Specializing in Cosmetic Surgery of the Face, Breast and Body

Best

Recommendation for Rhinoplasty Plastic Surgeon from Austin, TX

+1

The qualifications for the surgeon that you mention are one aspect. The second aspect is do you like the before and after photos that he showed? The third aspect is does he understand your objectives? Finally, do you connect with him?

Finding a Qualified Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

It sounds like the surgeon has the proper credentials. It is always smart to see his results from previous operations - you don't want a physician who  primarily does breast surgery operating on your nose. If you want a second opinion, I recommend Dr. Russell Kridel in Houston. It would be worth the trip.

Rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

You certainly want to make sure that the credentials of your doctor are acceptable. Now, you should check with friends that have used the doctor and you may want to see results, speak to the staff, or talk to former patients.

It sounds like you did your homework in finding a quality doctor

+1

What is important is to make sure that the doctor you find specializes in Rhinoplasty. There are many qualified surgeons who do rhinoplasty but specialize in other areas. I don't know anyone in Austin, but Dr. Russel Kridel in Houston is an excellent nose specialist.