Recommend a Type of Augmentation for Thin Lips?

Will having a lip augmentation make me happier with my overall appearance? I have really thin lips and want them to have a fuller more even look. What is type of enhancement has the best long-term results?

Proper Nonsurgical Lip Augmentation Requires A Very Experienced Injector & A Knowledgeable Patient

+1

An in-the-flesh examination of the lips is absolutely essential for determining not only which lips require treatment, but what injectable material(s) would be best and precisely how much will be required to create natural-looking lips that have appropriate symmetry and balance.

Unfortunately, all too many inexperienced injectors have created lips that in side view look
"duck like" or what has been called the "trout pout" and in front view appear like "sausage" lips. This comes from a lack of awareness of the appropriate and natural proportions of the lips in relation to each other and to the surrounding skin and that any exaggeration of these proportions can give rise to the undesirable results just described. The intent of treatment is not to have a person's lips enter the room before she does.

For lips to look natural, the upper lip, in side view, should project slightly more than the lower lip, in a ratio of approximately 1.5X more than the outward projection of the lower lip. In front view, the ratio is reversed. In vertical height, the ideal lower lip should be approximately 1.5X that of the upper lip. For the body of the lips, I generally prefer Juvederm UltraPlus XC.

Besides keeping these proportions in mind, treatment with fillers and/or volumizing injectables, must also be directed, when appropriate, to other detractors of the lips. These include loss or flattening of the philtrum and Cupid's bow and loss of border definition, "lipstick bleeding" lines (aka "smoker's lines), diminution of the so-called "white roll' that defines the separation between the red lips and the skin above and below the lips. And if the angles of the mouth have become downturned, this, too, must be addressed in order to maximize the benefits of lip rejuvenation. For the philtrum and Cupid's Bow, I have found Restylane L helpful; for smoker's lines, Belotero Balance; for the vermilion border, Juvederm Ultra XC; and for the angles of the mouth Radiesse combined with Perlane L.

From the above, it should go without saying that consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience in treating the lips is crucial for a gratifying outcome.

Options for thin lip augmentation

+1

Hard to say without a photo or exam.  In the face it is a good idea to start with something non permanent.  The soft and hard tissue of the face will change with time.  We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane).  It looks like you may benefit from some volume in the lips.  Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Lip augmentation for thin lips

+1

Without seeing a photo or knowing you, it is impossible to know if you would be happier with fuller lips.  Lip augmentation done properly can definitely enhance one's appearance.  You should consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can give you an experienced opinion.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

There are many long term and short term results for lip augmentation

+1

Lip augmentation can have a dramatic affect on your appearance. As one of the main circles of prominence. (See my theory on facial beauty). Things done to enhance the lips will really enhance your appearance like things done for eyes and nasal tip. More long lasting results are permalip augmentation, vy advancements, lip lifts, fat injections, and other facial implants in this area. Botox, fillers are temporary measures for lip augmentation. Below is a video on perma lip augmentation that you might be really interested in.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best treatment for fuller lips

+1

For a more natural looks I prefer fillers. These include fat transplants or injectable fillers such as Restylane. If you want a more permanent result fat tranplantation is excellent. It may take  two sessions to get your optimal result but it provides for a natural feel and look to your lips. 

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentations and lifts

+1

Beautfil lips not only possess a certain degree of fullness, but also a well-shaped cupid's bow and an average distance of 1.1 cm between the top of the top lip and the bottom of the nose.

Don't just focus on the fullness part and disregard the other features when discussing your options with a board certified plastic surgeon. Sometimes a filler will give you the look you're after - but sometimes it can produce what I like to refer to as duck lips. Often times the real solution is not a lip augmentation but a lip lift or a combination of a lift and augmentation together.

The type of enhancement that will give you the best long-term results depends on exactly what you're looking to accomplish and what your options really are.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Thin lip treatment varies with the type of thin lip.

+1

Thin lip treatment varies with the type of thin lip. Without seeing photos it is difficult to say what would work best for you. In general, fat grafting is my preferred method which I have used for more than 30 years. Silicone can also be used or other fillers.

Lip augmentation for thin lips

+1

It is hard to know whether lip augmentation will make you happier with your overall appearance.  Most women with thin lips appreciate the more youthful and feminine look of fuller lips.  It is important to not over do it, however as this can detract from you appearance.  Also you must consider your facial structure and balance.  It is best to start with a temporary injectable filler.  I prefer Juvederm Ultra XC.  It may last up to a year.  If you want something more permanent after that you may want to consider an implant with your own soft tissue or a synthetic implant such as PermaLip.  

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Best type of lip augmentation

+1

Obviously, it is impossible to say on this forum whether lip augmentation will make you happier with your overall appearance.  That said, in addition to the suggestions already given, I would recomment Silikon 1000 or Perma Facial Implants for permanent, pleasing results.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

What type of lip augmentation is best??

+1

There is no "best" type of lip augmentation, only advantages and disadvantages of each possibility to consider in deciding what is likely best for your individual situation.  if you've never had lips augmented, select a temporary filler such as Juvederm Ultra Plus or Perlane.  If you like the results, consider a longer lasting or more permanent choice.  My favorite is Aquamid (polyacrylamide hydrogel, manufactured in Denmark by Contura), but it is not yet available in the US.  Permalip soft silicone implants are nice, and can be easily removed, a strong advantage.  Fat grafting, PTFE, Alloderm, etc. are less predictable.  Injectable silicone can be nice, but has a rubbery feel, and can granulate.  It is very difficult to completely remove if there are problems or you don't like it. 

Whether or not you need lip reshaping instead of or in addition to augmentation is impossible to evaluate without a picture.  Whether or not lip augmentation will make you happier with your overall appearance is a question that only you can answer.

Steve Laverson, MD