Do You Recommend the Use of Afrin Nasal Spray After Rhinoplasty/septoplasty Surgery?

I am 5 days post op after having Rhinoplasty/Septoplasty/turbinate reduction surgery. It is still very hard to breathe thru the nose. I use saline spray frequently. But my question is, is it okay to use Afrin a few days post op? I began using it 2X a day on day 2 after surgery and it does bring me great relief but I have a gut feeling it is counter productive to my healing process. Can anyone shed some light? Thank You so much

Afrin Spray After Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, Afrin is not a good drug to use after nasal surgery. I have my patients use saline intranasal sprays for moisturizing the nose 4-6 weeks after rhinoplasty especially if you live in a high altitude and/or dry areas. Afrin should only be used when you are flying to help decompress the nasal passages during take-offs and landings.

Rhinoplasty surgery recovery

+1

Dear JetStream101,

• You can use an Ayr saline gel or even vaseline at nighttime
  • You can line the nostril with a q-tip to get moisture
  • I hope your recovery has gone well

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Surgeon preference during post-operative care after rhinoplasty

+1

One thing to remember about Afrin is that if you use it for more than 3-5 days consecutively, you can develop a "rebound" congestion if you discontinue its use.  Each surgeon has preferences with regards to post-operative care, and you should touch base with yours regarding what he/she prefers.

Afrin After Nasal Surgery

+1

When my patients present similar problems after undergoing a rhinoplasty or septoplasty, I typically suggest increasing your saline rinses instead of using Afrin after nasal surgery. You should speak with your plastic surgeon to make sure that this is ok for you.

Afrin for rhinoplasty

+1

Using Afrin is probably OK, but I wouldn't over do it.  You are probably better off using saline nasal spray because it is gentler.  I would talk with your surgeon.  Good luck as the swelling goes down it should get better.

Immediately after surgery, questions on post-op care should be answered by the operating surgeon

+1

Questions on post-op care should be answered by the operating surgeon for the period right after surgery as protocols may vary among surgeons.  However, in my practice Afrin often helps when used for a short period of time after surgery to reduce internal nasal swelling

Rhinoplasty post operative question about decongestant use

+1

Yes you can use afrin on a limited basis the first week after surgery. I would only recommend using it a few times a day, for the first week. You really need to optimize nasal lubricants and saline sprays.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplasty.ca/rhinoplasty-surgery/rhinoplasty-post-operation/

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon