Recommend Smart-Lipo if Had a P.E. Before Due to the Patch?

Testing could not find any genetic issues with clotting I am not on blood thinners and have not been since 3 months after the event I am slender, 5'8", active, non-smoker, 143 lbs. I have had traditional Lipo about 10 years ago. This is area touch up for thighs/hips.

History of PE and want surgery

+1

It is a tough call.  If you had a pulmonary embolism you would need a full woprk-up ( which you say that you did) and medical clearance and recommendations made by your hematologist to undergo the procedure. You may want to have something done under local only.

History of Blood Clot to Lungs (PE) and future Cosmetic Surgery

+1

The mere history of a previous blood clot formation (DVT) or worse, the travel of such clot to the lungs , pulmonary embolus (PE) predisposes a person to MORE such events. While this is a consideration for all surgery, it should be a source of serious consideration in Cosmetic Surgery where a higher risk of potential death may be taken solely for an improved appearance.

In my opinion, a full hematological work up and clearance must be obtained before seriously considering further procedures.

Dr. Aldea

Medical Clearance..

+1

The real question is what might your risk be. If the lipo is a small case and you were cleared by your internist to be off blood thinners with low risk, it might be OK. You are a higher risk case than the average case though.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

What ever type of liposuction you have you need complete work up and protection against blood clots

+1

When ever a patient undergoes any type of surgery it is imperative that they be fully evaluated for the possibility of developing clots in their lower extremities and pelvis. Regardless of the surgery planed this is a must. When ever a patient has a history of previous clots, a family history or many other indicators, they need to have treatment to prevent a recurrence of clots which could be life threatening. The use of compression stockings, pneumatic compression devices during surgery, maintenance of the body temperature, oxygenation and fluid volume, early ambulation and even the use of Lovenox,  a newer blood thiner like heparin need to be considered and applied if indicated. 

Since you have had blood clots previously, then you fall into a high risk group and need special attention. If your surgeon doesn't feel comfortable about making this call then a consultation with a hematologist would be a good choice. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Method of liposuction after pulmonary embolus.

+1

:You need clearance from your cardiologist. The type of liposuction makes no difference--it is the skill of the surgeon that counts-not the machine.

Recommend Smart-Lipo if had a P.E. before due to the Patch

+1

ONLY with a full medical/cardiac clearance would I even consider doing your surgery. Please seek opinions. Also photos of the area would help. From MIAMI Dr. B