Age 16 - What Do You Recommend for My Nose?

I'm tired of having my dad's nose. I've always been self concious about it. I'm 15 now and thinking about asking for rhinoplasty when I am 16. Do you think I need it? (I sure do) and what do you think I need to do to my nose? Thanks!

A Natural Looking Nose that will age well with you

+2

Noone needs Cosmetic Surgery but it is often desirable so if it will make you feel better about yourself and you are psychologically ready at age 16 ,that is reasonable.  It would be good to see a frontal view but from the side view, it appears that you have a dorsal hump and a bulbous nasal tip.  You have good overall nasal structure so you should do well with an open rhinoplasty to accomplish these goals.,  The key in doing a rhinoplasty in your age group is to be very conservative and preserve a strong straight dorsum with a slight supra tip break so that it will age well with you for your entire life.  Best of luck to you as you seek out an experieinced Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is possible at 16

+1

The "need" for rhinoplasty is based on your concerns.  If you are self concious about your nose, seek a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon.  Based on the photo provided, it appears you have significant natural beauty.  You do have a small hump on your nose.  It is difficult to tell from the photo, but you might have a weak chin as well.  Study what bothers you and share this with your surgeon.  Seek multiple opinions.  Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty age

+1

For young women 16 is probably okay to have a rhinoplasty as long as you are of adult height and have stopped growing.

The Right Age for Rhinoplasty

+1

Age 15-16 is a perfectly acceptable age for Rhinoplasty in a young woman. Deciding factors would be the maturity level of the patient, the support of the parents and of course the ability to see a physical problem that can be corrected. For most patients a conservative surgery, leaving the patient with a natural result is the goal. It's also important to have a good idea in your own mind as to what you would like to see changed about the nasal appearance. Good communication between the patient and the surgeon is very important in achieving a result that the patient is satisfied with. Good Luck

16 and Wanting a Rhinoplasty

+1

Your question is a fairly common question that I encounter.

15 is a little early for Rhinoplasty but some patients are appropriate for surgery at that age. One issue to consider is whether your lower face is still growing. From your photo, it looks as if your chin projection has a little way to develop. The chin's relationship to the nose is an important one, especially when considering whether to depreject the tip or leave it where it is currently.

That question is critical, since it will determine whether you need a profile-plasty alone to address the dorsal hump or whether tip-plasty should also be done. If you want the nose to be thinner from the front view, then some work would need to be done on the tip. However, formal complete tip-plasty with suture recontouring is not always needed to remove volume.

So you see it can be a bit complicated. Fortunately, in a face to face consultation, it is usually easy to figure out the solution that best suits your needs.

Best of luck

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suggested Nose Changes for a 16 year old Girl

+1

Regarding: "Age 16 - What Do You Recommend for My Nose?

I'm tired of having my dad's nose. I've always been self concious about it. I'm 15 now and thinking about asking for rhinoplasty when I am 16. Do you think I need it? (I sure do) and what do you think I need to do to my nose? Thanks
!"

No one really "NEEDS" a nose job (the way they may need a burst appendix removed or worse). Cosmetic surgery is I WANT surgery - NOT I NEED surgery.

Do you have a perfect nose? Not really. But, I wish you could look at the very flawed profiles of the hundreds of plastic surgeons at major meetings and be shocked by many of us could use a nose job and other procedures we routinely do on others. Personally, I think most of us were born with outer and inner flaws to give us the opportunity of seeking perfection as we grow and learn in life. Many a famous person was defined more by what they did than by what they looked like.

While you COULD have a nose job as early as 16, it is much more important that you be mature and have realistic expectations when having it. While SOME women MAY be mature at 16, others may not be mature by 60 years of age. Take your time and enjoy your youth.

Lastly, let's go back to me and my often appearance challenged Plastic surgery friends. Part of growing up involves learning self-confidence and NOT being swayed by others' opinions of you. This includes girlfriends, boyfriends or Plastic surgeons. It does NOT make a difference what any one of us thinks. The only thing that counts is what you think and what really bothers you.

If you DO seek a Plastic surgeon, make sure YOUR opinion and wishes determine what you have done.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Need for Rhinoplasty

+1
Since rhinoplasty is elective cosmetic surgery, no one but you can decide if you need it or not. Since you think you do, discuss your desires with your parents. If you and they agree to proceed, consult a qualified Plastic Surgeon. Explain to him/her exactly what bothers you and what you would like to change. Again, only you can decide what needs to be done to your nose. Your surgeon's job is to decide how to achieve your desired result.
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at age 16

+1

What I see from the picture is that you have a moderate nasal bridge hump. I think, in general, your nose is over projected.  For the best aesthetics, I think you will need to reduce the hump and the whole nose would look better set back more.  In terms of need, you don't need plastic surgery like you would cancer surgery.  However, there is research out there that shows relationships between how your mood is and how your immune system works.  It has been sort of known for many years that you generally live longer if there is a lot more good things that are happening to you and you are in general happier. It is my belief that you we will find more research or discover through research that how you look can make a huge impact in your quality of life and your life expectancy in some way. If your nose has a major impact on the way you look and, in turn, your beauty it could mean a lot to your life.  When you look in a magazine, usually you see the most beautiful people.  Good looks, beauty, bestows a lot on the person.  People are promoted faster, they obviously marry much more easily, even our parents seem to have more positive feelings for us when we look better (unfortunately).  I have many theories regarding this.  You can learn more about my theory on aesthetics on my website. 

As for age. 15-16 would be the earliest I would consider doing a rhinoplasty.  Any earlier, would require some significant counseling and risk management discussions,etc.  This is when the nose stops growing.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at age 16

+1

You have asked us two questions.  As far as what age to do a rhinoplasty, it varies somewhat.  I will do a rhinoplasty in a 15 year girl who is emotionally and physically mature whereas I may delay a 16 year old boy until they are 17.  A lot depends on the patient and there are no hard and fast rules.

As for the second question, I can't answer that, you have to.  You do have a nose that in profile has a bump and there may be other things to treat as well that can only be determined by examining you.  Cosmetic surgery is not about what other people think, its about what you want and what bothers you.  Obviously you are bothered by your nose so I would recommend speaking to your parents about the surgery and going on several consultations.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster from Boca Raton

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, when you are ready

+1

Everyone has a idea of what others should do, or how they should look. The most important person is you. If you are committed to idea of rhinoplasty start collecting your dream of the best nose for you. It will be helpful if the surgeon you see is familiar with computer imaging. In this way you can work with your photos and 'try out' changes before surgery. This can take some of the doubt about how you should look, or want to look, and help guide your surgeon to the best result as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty