Do You Recommend a Revision? Still Have Breathing Problems. (photo)

I had a Rhinoplasty done, aproximately fiye years ago to correct a deviated septum and improve breathing due to the nose collapsing inward. It has improved slightly,however still having breathing problems. Do I need a revision Rhinoplasty? Do you think spreader grafts or alar batten grafts would any help? Thank you in advance.

Difficulty Breathing s/p Rhinoplasty

+4

Have you had a CT scan done either prior to or anytime after your Rhinoplasty surgery?  Generally, I have all of my NasoSeptal surgery patients undergo CT scan in order to get a better view of the septum as well as the paranasal sinus. That enables me to see all that is going on and make a better surgical plan.   I think it would be an important step for you to seek consultation with a well-trained and experienced ENT-Facial Plastic Surgeon who will send you for further diagnositic texts in order to make a informed decision.

Difficulty breathing after revision

+2

In your pictures the upper lateral area is defiitely depressed. This causes the valve area to suck in against the septum on inspiration. It is because in my opinion the valve area is soft and needs to be stiffened. I use overlay grafts for this purpose which stiffen the valves so they cant contract. Spreaders work for some doctors but the valve area is not made stiffer only wider and they can still collapse inward.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Breathing Problems 5 Years after Rhinoplasty

+2

A revision operation by an experienced surgeon should improve your breathing. Spreader grafts and alar batten grafts are 2 techniques that are frequently used in patients with your complaints bur an examination of your airway will be necessary before making any specific recommendations. If needed, cosmetic changes can also be made during that surgery.