Would you recommend Radiesse or Sculptra to correct nasolabial folds within no more than 3 months? (photos)

I am having a lower blepharoplasty to get rid of the hereditary bags beneath my eyes. Once the swelling is down I would like a filler to lift and smooth the labial folds and hollows in my cheeks from losing weight. I don't particularly have wrinkles, mostly just the sagging and the downturn at the corners of my mouth. My doctor has recommended Sculptra for this but it would take several months. I need more immediate results and from all of my research Radiesse sounds like a better solution.

Which filler for immediate results - Sculptra or Radiesse

+2
For immediate correction Radiesse is your choice as Sculptra takes at least several months and usually several treatments to achieve correction.  Your nasolabial folds are partly due to volume loss in your cheeks so for successful correction, some of the filler should be injected in the malar (upper cheek) area to lift the fold.  If you like the correction, you could transition to Sculptra as the Radiesse begins to wear off in nine months to one year.

Miami Dermatologist

Sculptra or Radiesse?

+2
While I do agree that Sculptra could give you good results, you are correct that it would take several months to get the desired effect.  If you are looking for a more immediate improvement, Radiesse would be one option.  Voluma is a newer product that is stated to last longer than Radiesse, so this would be another option for you too.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse or Sculptra for Naso-Labial Folds

+2
In my opinion, you are completely correct, Radiesse would be a far superior product to achieve your desires. I would also inquire about how the lower blepharoplasty will be done. The procedure I do also lifts the malar area (the cheek under the eye) and reduces the naso-labial folds and hollows in the cheeks. If this is done, you may need less filler to correct any residual problem. I gave up using Sculptra a good while ago since Radiesse lasts as long, has an immediate effect and requires only one injection. There is also a new long lasting alternative, Juvederm Voluma.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fillers That Give Immediate Results

+2
From your picture I would recommend one of three fillers for you.  These include:
  1. Juvederm lasts about 18 months in this area.
  2. Radiesse, which should last about 24 months
  3. Artefill has been shown to last 5 years
My patients prefer the longer filler.  It is more expensive initially but much less expensive over time.  The results are very natural and I believe that you would be very happy with Artefill.

I hope that helps.  Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for Mid Cheek

+1
If you wanted a more immediate improvement, my suggestion would be Juvederm Voluma. Voluma is specifically formulated to correct volume loss and enhance contour to the mid cheek area creating a more youthful appearance. Voluma instantly provides a smooth, natural-looking appearance that lasts up to 2 years with optimal treatment. Improving the mid cheek will improve the Naso-Labial folds but some filler may also be required for best improvement. For the downturned mouth I would inject Restylane as it is more appropriate than Radiesse for this area. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see how many syringes you would need.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse will give you quicker results

+1
Sculptra is a great way to revolumize the face but it does take several treatment sessions and time for results to show. Radiesse will give you very nice results that are visible immediately.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist