Hello everyone. Would you recommend a Patch test for Juvederm in the lips? What if I have an allergic reaction?

I have been considering lip fillers for a very long time. Mainly it's my upper lip that bothers me. I went to lots of consultation and decided to go for one doctor in Harley Street, London. I have been reading up about Juvederm& am getting worried about allergic reactions, bumps etc.. I asked the doctor if he can inject a little into my forearm but he said it is not needed, he's already gone through my history, I now don't know what to do? Should I just leave it? Thanks for your help.

Juvederm Allergy?

+1
Allergy testing for Juvederm is not a common procedure because an allergy to this product is extremely rare. However, to make the experience a comfortable one, injecting a tiny amount prior to the full procedure is a very easy thing to do! Ask your provider for a "test spot." Unfortunately, the syringe will have to be purchased prior to this because once it is opened, it is yours! 

Would you recommend a Patch test for Juvederm in the lips? What if I have an allergic reaction?

+1
Juvederm does not require a patch test. Allergic reactions are possible with any injected or ingested product but are very rare with hyaluronic acid based fillers. I've never seen one. If you do have a history of multiple allergies (but not anaphylaxis), a small amount of Juvederm could be injected in a well hidden area to ensure that you don't have a reaction to it. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin patch test for Juvederm

+1
Way back when, we used to do skin patch testing for collagen injections, but that was because there were allergies to it because it had animal byproducts in it. Hyaluronic acid, which is what Juvederm is, occurs naturally in the body and this version is made in a lab. There are not animal byproducts in it. There is no skin test for Juvederm. Your doctor could put some in your arm first if you wish, but either way you are going to have to pay for the entire syringe to do this. I have injected thousands of syringes of Juvederm without having one allergic issue.

As a side note, your injections should follow the natural shape of your lips, which usually means 1/3 goes into the top lip and the other 2/3 goes into the bottom lip. Injecting everything into just the top lip often leads to a "trout pout" or "duck lip".

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD