Do You Recommend Jessner's Peel on Darker Skin to Remove Fine Wrinkles? Should I Be Worried for Hyperpigmentation?

I am 60 years old ( dark olive skin) with fine wrinkles around my eyes and some age spots on my face. Please recommend me safest effective treatment.

Jessner peel for darkly pigmented skin

+2

I too am a fan of Jessner peels.  This can be used in all skin types.  Sometimes you do see hyperpigmentation after any significant peel but this practically ALWAYS responds to appropriate treatment.  I don't think you should be worried.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Jessner peel

+2

Excellent for all skin types and helps to improve discoloration of the skin. Combines resoreinol, lactic acid, and salicyclic acid to result in deeper penetration and greater exfoliation of the outer layers of the skin cells. The deeper exfoliation produces noticeable flaking and exfoliation in the following three to four days after the peel, and withing a week a smoother, healthier layer of skin will be revealed. Since this is a deeper peel than usual, it also is more effective in getting rid of persistent pigmentation problems. This peel can safely be used on darker skin types but cautiously. 

However you may want to consider a more aggressive treatment such as a laser resurfacing or microlaser peel which i do frequently to tighten and rejuvenate the entire face as well as the lower eyelids. This may be a better option for a more overall youthful appearance.

Kevin Tehrani, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Jessner's Peels can be safe on darker skin

+1

Jessner's peels can be performed with excellent results on patient of all skin types.  As will all peels, there is a risk of hyperpigmentation and patients with darker skin are more at risk as this is how their skin responds to inflammation.  This is a risk, however,  that can be managed.  Make sure that whoever performed your peel has experience doing peels on patients with darker skin.

Dina D. Strachan, MD