What Do You Recommend for Best Results? (photo)

I wanted to know what doctors would recommended for me as far a procedures. I am 31, 5"8,160lb, and have two children. My higest weight was 240lb during pregnancy. My stomach and streach marks are what bothers me the most about my body. I also have saggy thighs and wanted to know if a full tummy tuck would help lift them just a little. It would mean the world to me just to be able to wear a bikini without being embarrassed. I would like to have just one surgery because I'm scared.

Best Operations for Me?

+2

Congratulations on achieving a long-term stable weight!  Carefully considering your history,  pictures, and goals, I think that you will do best with either an extended tummy tuck operation or a lower body lift. Any lesser operation will likely leave you dissatisfied and in need of additional surgery.  I would not recommend thigh lifting surgery at the same time.

Given that you are contemplating tummy tuck surgery some additional advice may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Full Tummy Tuck best option for removing excess skin and stretch marks

+1

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss that is a great accomplishment.

Because of the amount of stretching and excess skin that you have, a full Tummy Tuck or abdominoplasty will be the best option for you.

being at your ideal body weight always will improve the results of a Tummy Tuck.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in tummy Tuck, and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Best option for you would be:

+1

A tummy tuck would take care of the excess skin from your lower abdomen. An added benefit is that those stretch marks on the skin removed will also be gone. Unfortunately, a tummy tuck does not address the thighs.  That procedure would be a thigh lift.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Full Tummy Tuck vs. Lower Body Lift - Want To Wear A Bikini?

+1

An 80-pound weight loss and 2 pregnancies, plus the photos you sent indicate to me you need a lower body lift.  A lower body lift is a tummy tuck plus the backside of a tummy tuck (buttocks and lateral thigh lift).  You have a lot of excess skin, and without even seeing what's under your Levi's, I am sure you have a ptotic buttocks and loose skin of the lateral thighs. 

A well done lower body lift not only lifts your vulva, anterior and lateral thighs, but a 360 degree lift actually pulls up a surprising amount of medial thigh ptosis. 

This surgery, if done by a Board Certified plastic surgeon with years of experience in the Mommy Makeover, will surely give you the ability to wear a bikini. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Best results for tummy

+1

Judging by your photos and your height and weight I believe the best procedure for you would be an abdominoplasty with liposuction. I would recommend that you lose enough weight to get close to your comfortable weight.  If you are already at your comfortable weight then I would recommend the surgery.

We can't see your thighs in the photos but the tummy tuck procedure will not do much for your thighs.  The amount of skin laxity will determine if they can be treated by liposuction alone or if a thighlift is necessary which involves tightening the skin directly.

I hope you find this helpful.  Visit several plastic surgeons in your area and look for one with whom you are comfortable and who you believe will be able to help you achieve your goals.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

What Do You Recommend for Best Results?

+1

I would recommend tummy tuck with liposuction of your back and flanks to help with your trunk.  This will help with the loose skin, make your tummy flat, and give you a nicer waist and silhouette.  The tummy tuck will not help your thighs to any meaningful extent.  However, it is a bit difficult to tell about the best procedure for your thighs given the photos.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks, liposuction procedures, and body contouring procedures each year.  Look at before and after photo galleries to determine if you like the results of that surgeon and then schedule the consultation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck after loosing 80 pounds

+1

After  loosing   80  pounds    wich  I  congratulate  you    it   is normal  that     the skin  looses the elasticity   and  its retraction  condition  ounce   you start loosing  more  weight   the more   your  skin  will become hanging  , In  this  cases   the only  real treatment    is   a  tummy  tuck   because   the  skin  that  remains    is    of   bad  quality    and   there    is  return  to make it  tight.You  need   a   combination   of   liposuction with    tummy  tuck,  for  these   procedures   you  need   to have   good   levels  of  blood and   if   all  your  medical  studies    are   in the  normal    range    you  will be   very  glad   to   make   theis  option . 

Cynthia Disla, MD

What is the best procedure for my tummy

+1

From your photos it looks like you have done a good job losing weight after your pregnancy. The best procedure to tighten up your abdomen is definitely a tummy tuck with aggressive muscle tightening. Some surgeons might recommend a body lift. This is a tummy tuck that continues all around the back side to tighten up the skin on the back of the waist. While that is a good operation is does have a significantly higher risk of complications and the recovery is more difficult. Also keep in mind that even a tummy tuck alone is a tough recovery (4-6 weeks) and you will need lots of help with kids and home.

Diana L. Elias MD

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck will really improve your stomach.

+1

Hi.

You seem like a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  It will not significantly improve your thighs, but it is not safe to do thigh lift together with tummy tuck anyway, in my opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How to optimize a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your pictures and informing us of your height and weight.  Body contouring is a comprehensive procedure.  You hit the nail on the head when asking how to optimize your surgery.  From you pictures, I can see that you have excess weight and skin laxity from your hips circumferentially to your lower chest.  The best way for you to achieve the best look for you is some help from you (lose some weight) and then from your surgeon (circumferential procedure to address excess skin and fat from the anterior abdomen, flanks, and back.  Other options could include gluteal contouring/augmentation as well.  Body parts do not exist in isolation.  Improvement of the central trunk often needs a 360 degree approach as well as tackling adjacent structures such as breast, lateral thigh, medial thigh. 

Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable performing body contouring procedures and who YOU are comfortable working with.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon