What Changes Would You Recommend for Better Aesthetics For My Ethnic Nose? (photo)

I've disliked my nose from an early age, and after several months of researching, I've finally decided to go through with having ethnic rhinoplasty. The problem is, I'm not exactly sure where to begin on what I dislike about my nose. It looks like a blob in front, and I dislike the hump a lot. Where do I begin when explaining to a P.S. on what would be more aesthetically pleasing? I would like to explore my options and have opinions from outsiders looking in.

Ethnic rhinoplasty suggestions

+2

Ethnic rhinoplasty can involve removing an undesired hump from the bridge of the nose and/or refining the nasal tip.  In addition, releasing the depressor septi ligament of the nasal tip will prevent the tip from drooping upon animation and smiling.  Once the hump has been removed, additional narrowing of the nasal bones will also need to be performed to feminize and refine the bony portion of the nose.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

The goal of all ethnic rhinoplasty is to remove or camouflage unwanted nasal characteristics while creating a nose that is proportional and in concert with the surrounding facial features. With the pictures submitted I recommend reduction of the hump and refinement of the tip. Other changes will probably be suggested after examining your nose and discussing your goals with an experienced surgeon. You are fortunate that you have skin that is thinner than many African-American ladies which will give you the opportunity to achieve better nasal definition.

Rhinoplasty suggestions

+2

You need to consider several things when deciding what to do for your rhinoplasty:

1. examine your nose and list the things that you would like to change
  2. discuss each of those points with a qualified plastic surgeon
  3. do not change a part of the nose that does not bother you UNLESS your discussion with the plastic surgeon helps you recognize how it could improve the appearance.
  4. talk with multiple plastic surgeons to come to a consensus opinion and see which one makes you feel the most comfortable.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty changes

+2

Without seeing your nose in more detail (such as a profile shot) it's hard to say specifically what would be best for your nose. Certainly, taking down the hump can be done. Also, nasal bone narrowing can also be done.

Computer morphing during your consultation could be done to get a better idea of what changes could be done to improve the appearance of your nose.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Understanding rhinoplasty surgery

+2

There are several components that go into creating a nose that is in harmony with your facial features and maintains your ethnic identity.   From your photographs it appears that you have a mildly bulbous nasal tip and a small dorsal hump.  It will require a formal examination to determine a surgical plan.  Computer imaging is also very helpful as an educational tool to show you what is reasonable and possible to accomplish surgically.   

Rhinoplasty

+2

It is best to seek a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist and discuss your concerns. He/she can then outline a plan with you to improve the look but maintain your identity.

What Changes Would You Recommend for Better Aesthetics For My Ethnic Nose?

+2

Reduce the slight nasal bump and thin the nasal bones and tip slightly.  Be sure that your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.  

Rhinoplasty

+2

Your posted photos show the hump on the bridge that you describe and a slightly drooping nasal tip. Rasping of the bone portion of the hump and cutting of the cartilage portion with infracture should take care of the hump.Trimming of the upper edge of the tip cartilages should refine the tip and take care of the droop. These are standard rhinoplasty procedures. There may be more options available to you but that is all I can see from your posted photos. The best way for you to go over what you want and what you do not like with your surgeon is to look at photos of yourself along side photos of noses that you like.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Ethnic rhinoplasty: Keep it conservative.

+2

It's difficult with your photos (a side profile would be good), but I'd say keep it conservative.  Hump reduction, some tip refinement and minimal if any tip rotation.  You want to maintain your identity.  I think those things would give you a lovely looking nose.  This can be done with and open or endonasal technique and you'd heal in a week.  HOWEVER, you'll still have residual swelling with your skin for about 3 weeks though you'd look quite presentable.  So just be aware.

Another thing, every culture deals with plastic surgery, especially of the nose very differently.  Indian, Iranian, East Asian, West Asian, Israeli, etc. have a different post op course in how the perceive the changes which can either be joyful or stressful.  This may sound like stretch but family and friend support can be very important.  My Indian, Pakistani, and Bengali patients, in particular, some times find the post op course very difficult if they are being admonished by friends and family for even minor changes.   In this community cosmetic surgical changes to the face are not always well accepted.   You want to see a surgeon who works in this community and can advise  you.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the ethnic nose.

+2

Rhinoplasty for the ethnic nose in my 35 year experience usually involves the patient's desire to get better tip definition, remove the bump, narrow your nostrils, etc. These should be discussed with your experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. I have patients bring in photos of noses they like and it helps both of us to determine what you will be happy with.