Would you recommend an extended tummy tuck? The one that goes beyond your hip bone towards the back? (photo)

Dr. Bruno from the Beverly Hills said it wouldn't go past my hip bone. However, I went for a second opinion with Dr. Gongora and he recommends going all the way towards the back to get better results. I am unsure of what to do as I know the scar will be extended... It will be almost like a lower body lift. Dr. Gongora did say it would go all around close to my tattoo. He said the results would be so much better. I lost over 40 lbs. I would like your professional opinion. I provided some photos

Do you need an extended tummy tuck incision

+1
Thank you for your question and photograph.  Congratulations on your weight loss that is wonderful.  In my experience the best approach is to do a standard full tummy tuck in doing the incision slightly past the hip and later at 6 months do a second procedure to of skin on your back.  Doing a circumferential skin excision creates difficulty during recovery as you're unable to lie on your side, back or tummy without impacting your incision.

Tummy tuck

+1
Good question. I think either option would be a good one in your case.  It is hard to know what is meant by an extended tummy tuck.  Exactly how far will it be extended versus a standard tummy tuck.  Also, you will probably be charged more for the extended  TT and you need to decide if it's worth the extra expense and longer scars.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck procedures

+1
Based on your photographs, I feel you will have a very good result with an abdominoplasty and do not require an extended abdominoplasty. Liposculpture of the hip and flank areas will significantly improve your shape. Congratulations on your significant weight loss.

Phillip Dahan, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss.  Now time to enjoy the body you've worked for.  

Based on your photos, I do not think you need an extended abdominoplasty.  I think your incision will extend beyond your hip bones, but will not extend to your back.  In general, an incision needs to be carried out at least as far as the hanging skin extends, otherwise there is no way to get you a nice contour at the waistline.  Your waistline will be narrowed by suturing your abdominal muscles together, liposuction of the flanks, and pulling the skin inward.

Most of my patients don't mind the length of the incision, it's the position of the incision that matters.  I place the incision under your underwear or bikini line so that you can wear a two-piece afterwards and not have any visible incision.  

Kyle Song, MD
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Would you recommend an extended tummy tuck? The one that goes beyond your hip bone towards the back?

+1
  A full tummy tuck is sufficient in almost all cases except in some cases of massive weight loss patients.  Liposuction can generate a very good result on the sides and back in almost everyone in conjunction with the tummy tuck.  However, the benefit of an exam cannot be underestimated.

Extended tummy tuck scar or not?

+1
Thanks for your photos and I think that you would do well with a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and not an extended incision.  You would benefit from liposuction on your flanks as well.  Liposuction will improve your look but it will not flatten your stomach. 

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty Incisions

+1

It is difficult to tell how much actual skin elasticity you have on the sides of your hips/waist just based on your photos, but it appears good.  In general, liposuction is sufficient to obtain a nice contour in this area without skin excision. However, you will not get tightening of the skin you are pulling on just under your bra, whether you choose an abdominoplasty, extended abdominoplasty, or lower body lift.  That would require a posterior upper body lift.

I do not recommend having surgery in a foreign country, even if it is relatively close to where you live.  Aside from general issues of safety, abdominoplasty is a surgery that requires multiple follow up appointments, especially if you get a seroma, which occurs 20% of the time on average.  This mostly inconvenient complication requires needle aspiration in the office, and usually re-accumulates a number of times before it finally goes away.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Would you recommend an extended tummy tuck?

+1
Your pictures are not very clear, however, generally speaking the bigger the incision the more excess skin the surgeon can remove. If post better photos-- i can give you a better assessment .

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD