I am 3 wks post op mini tummy tuck and 460cc high profile silicone implants. I am unsatisfied with my tummy tuck, but I am hoping when all the swelling goes down it will look ok even with all the stretch marks still left over. I developed two DVT clots in my upper right arm and neck a couple of days after surgery, now I am on lovenox and coumadin. I am 5'4 135 pounds and had 3 kids. I would like to get a areola reduction but would like to see everyone's input on the matter?
Would You Recommend Me Getting Areola Reduction? (photo)
Doctor Answers (5)
Revision with areolar reduction
In general, yes the areolae are a bit large, but there is a real tradeoff with scarring. Periareolar lifting procedures can be associated with a high incidence of hypertrophic scarring. I will use a permanent suture in all of these cases to prevent spreading if possible.
Too early to be too concerned regarding your tummy tuck results. Swelling can takes months to resolve. Unfortunately tummy tucks are not great for stretch marks except when they are removed with the skin resection.
As for the timing of a any potential revisions, wait at least 6 months, after you are off anticoagulation and when you have seen your true end result. Best of luck.
The average areola is about 4 cm in diameter. Most mastopexy is will resize and enlarged areola to this dimension.
The picture demonstrates a large areola. This is an aesthetic issue only if the patient dislikes it. The areola can be reduced surgically.
Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm
Would You Recommend Me Getting Areola Reduction
Provided that you feel the areolas are too large, I would concur that a reduction would be beneficial.
As to the abdomen, it looks like you had a nice tight closure. It is often not possible to remove all stretch marks. usually anything above the navel before surgery will still be present after a TT. As to navel position, the photos don't show enough for me to be know where the midline is.
Any thought of breast or abdomen surgery should wait until your course of anticoagulation has been completed
You might also like...
Hi - you are still really early out from your surgeries, so give everything time to heal before deciding on anything else. Your tummy tuck swelling will continue to come down but it can sometimes take a couple of months.
Womens' areolas vary a great deal in size, and it is completely up to you whether or not you feel happy with the size of yours. If you do decide to do anything about your areolas, I would wait until your implants settle into place over the next few months before you do anything. Given your problems with DVT's, doing any surgery while you are on blood thinners may cause more problems than they may fix.
I would wait on the areola reduction
As has already been pointed out, it is very early to contemplate revision on your tummy tuck. As for the areola reduction, while it may be indicated, I would not consider doing that until your course of anticoagulation for DVT is complete. This is usually six months, and at that time you should be able to have the procedure under local anesthesia to lessen the risk of recurrent DVT.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.