Is It Recomendad to Have an Umbilicoplasty if I Plan to Get Pregnant?

Is It Recomendad to  Have a  Umbilicoplastiy   if I Plan to Get  Prenant?

Umbilicoplasty and pregnancy

+2

Although the ubilicoplasty repair might hold during your future pregnancy, the chances of it tearing and then requiring the umbilical surgery to be redone is high enough that if you can live with it until after you are done with the pregnancies, I would advise you to do so.

Umbilicoplasty with or without hernia repair

+1

If the umbilicoplasty is for hernia repair, then I recommend you have it done if it is causing you pain or discomfort.  

If there is no hernia, then it can wait until after pregnancy because there is a good chance that the pregnancy will cause your belly button to need to be redone.

To know what is best for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to see if you are a candidate and if it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Umbilicoplasty result would likely be diminished by pregnancy

+1

Hi there-

Unless it is going to be a long time before you become pregnant, and unless the benefit to you of the umbilicoplasty over the time period between now and your pregnancy is extremely important to you, I would not recommend pursuing it until after your family is complete. 

Armando Soto, MD

Umbilicoplasty/Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

+1

Since the greatest stretching of skin and abdominal tissues with pregnancy is centered around the umbilicus, a pre-pregnancy umbilicoplasty may likely end up in a wasted effort. You may also find that after another pregnancy what you may need could change from an umbilicoplasty to some form of a tummy tuck. Wait until your abdominal area is a 'stable target' before changing it surgically.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Short answer...No

+1

Altho an umbilicoplasty would be nice to do if you are unhappy with your belly button, I feel it would be a waste of your money.  If you are planning a pregnancy soon, all that work and healing may be for naught.  I would wait till after your last pregnancy as you  may need a tummy tuck as well.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty and Pregnancy?

+1

I would suggest that you wait on having umbilicoplasty and/or tummy tuck surgery until after you have completed pregnancies. As you know, pregnancy can bring about changes to the umbilicus and the remainder of the  abdomen,  potentially necessitating further surgery.

Timing of umbilicoplasty.

+1

The short answer that applies to the vast majority of patients, is that  it is preferable to delay abdominoplasty until after you have complefted your family.  There are however some patients who desire umbilicoplasty to improve the appearance of the umbilicus, prior to pregnancy.  For these patients, it is  important to exclude an umbilical hernia.  Your general or plastic surgeon should be able to help you with this.

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS