Is It Recomendable to Travel by Plane a Month After Rhinoplasty Surgery?

Flying after rhinoplasty

+1
How soon after rhinoplasty a patient can fly will depend on a variety of factors including what was done during surgery, was there simultaneous septal, sinus or other internal nasal surgery, and the duration of surgery. In most cases, patients can fly 7-10 days following rhinoplasty surgery. At this point, the external nasal splint and internal nasal splint/packing will have been removed, most of the swelling outside of the nose has resolved within the first few days, and any oozing of blood following surgery has stopped within the first day or so. When flying, it is important to keep saline nasal spray in case the nasal passages feel dry or irritated, and decongestant nasal spray such as Afrin or Otrivin if the inner ear tubes are blocked due to pressure changes during flying. It is important to discuss the use of these nasal sprays with your surgeon as they may have a preference on how early you can use them.

With regards to the length of surgery and also the length of the flight, it is important to get up and walk frequently and also drink a lot of fluids to decrease the risk of a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot on the leg or thigh) and pulmonary embolism (blood clot dislodges and travels to the heart). Both of these are extremely rare complications after nasal surgery but serious.

When planning your travel after surgery, it is important to discuss this with your surgeon as they will have recommendations regarding the timing and how long they require you to stay 'in town' following surgery.

OK to travel by plane 1 month after Rhinoplasty

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and allow all of my Rhinoplasty patients to fly 1 week after their Rhinoplasty.

Is it safe to fly after rhinoplasty

+1

There is no restriction to fly a month after rhinoplasty. Many of my out of town patients fly home about 8 days post operatively. Although in some instances that reconstructive work is done, two weeks of no-flying restriction may apply. You must ask your physician and seek his/her advice. Good luck and good healing. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO

Flying after rhinoplasty

+1

You should not have a problem at one month. I typically advise my patients to wait two weeks, but many who come from out of the area need to return after one week.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Travel by plane

+1

I can see no reason not to go unless you are having healing issues that affect your airway. Then you might have some troublre clearing your ears but, your nose itself is safe.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Travel after rhinoplasty

+1

The only reason that air travel would be affected is that you have sinus problems where the change in pressure could cause issues.  Otherwise I see no contraindication.   Donald R. Nunn   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

+1

If you where my patient I would not have an issue with you flying 1 month post rhinoplasty, but you are not, so. But best to check with the surgeon of record. 

Air travel after rhinoplasty

+1

Although each situation is unique and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure, air travel is typically very safe by a week as long as a few basic precautions are taken:

1. Decongestion of the nose before take-off
  2. No heavy lifting

Sam Naficy, MD

Travel by plane 1 month after rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Flying one month after rhinoplasty is safe. 

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon