Recession in Lower Face Better Treated with Chin Implant or Sculptra/Radiesse? (photo)

Due to uneven planes in lower region of my face, I am wondering if chin implant would not address all problem and if there is more flexibility in sculpting/refining overall region with filler? I photoshopped region in 4th photo for desired look.

Prefer Chin Implant for More Precise Contour Balance in Chin and Lower Face with Lasting Improvement

+1

In your case, either augmentation approach - injectables or implant - will likely achieve your goals. In my hands, I would prefer the chin implant, though, since this allows for a more precise shape and size selection to create the exact contour balance you are looking for.

Various injectable tissue fillers provide an excellent method for improving the contours of the lower region of your face. These are particularly good to get a sense of what you'd like to accomplish on a more permanent basis.

The disadvantage of this approach arises when the desired augmentation in the chin/lower face area is substantial enough that it is difficult to provide adequate volume with tissue fillers alone. Under this circumstance, and for a more permanent solution, a chin implant is often a better solution.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would you benefit more from a filler or chin implant to augment a weak chin?

+1

Thank you for providing a series of photos. To answer your question, either filler or chin implant can be used for chin augmentation. I prefer Radiesse as a filler to augment the chin. This can be performed in the office with minimal discomfort. However, the results are temporary and there is a limit to how much augmentation can be provided with a filler. This is most effective for reshaping the chin and works well to fill in an unwanted dimple, correct asymmetry or subtly increase projection of the chin. Chin implants offer more significant and permanent results. Numerous sizes and shapes are available from several manufacturers. Chin implants are safe and can be placed either with a small incision hidden under the chin or an incision inside the mouth that is not visible. With the amount of augmentation you desire, a chin implant is likely your best option. However, you would need an in office consultation with Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon to determine what treatment option is best for your specific needs.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implant offers greater three-dimensional chin changes

+1

Injectable fillers in the chin are best used for spot correction/augmentation or as a trial to determine whether one may like some degree of augmentation effect. What you are showing in your imaging is a greater degree of change that that which fillers are capable. With more of a substantial three-dimensional chin change, you are better to consider an actual implant. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Retrusion

+1

With respect to the position of your chin a lateral view of your face including your entire nose and forehead is required to begin any assessment.Also a view of your teeth to identify malocclusion if present is required. As a general rule fillers are not appropriate for total chin augmentation.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Filler or chin implant

+1

To my eye, I see muscle tension around your mouth. It is not possible to say what is causing it. The treatment depends on the cause - which can be anything from muscle spasm that Botox would fix to  jaw malalignment needing major surgery.   

I personally don't think anyone can give you a sound opinion without examining your face from all angles as well as inside your mouth to determine the cause of the tension. I would start with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has training in maxillo-facial surgery or is able to refer you to such a specialist if this is what you need. Best of luck. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD