I Was Recently Told I Needed a Lift As Well As Implants. Could I Get Just Implants to Achieve the Look I Want? (photo)

I am 28, 135lbs and 5"3. I've always had size D breast, and after having 3 kids and nursing they are no longer full and big. I was told by the doctor I went to for a consult that I was borderline for a lift and he highly recommended a lift as well as implants in two separate surgeries. I would just like my big full breast back with out the lift. Do you think this obtainable?

I Was Recently Told I Needed a Lift As Well As Implants. Could I Get Just Implants to Achieve the Look I Want?

+3

With patients similar to you who do not want a lift, I recommend starting with silicone implants in a subglandular position.  If done correctly, this will give you a good cosmetic result.  Just realize that the natural progression is continued sagging over time and you will probably require a lift in the future.

+2

I like your docs suggestion of implants first than a second surgery if needed for a lifting. I might use 500 cc +++ implants. 

To lift or not

+2

I agree that you are a borderline case for the lift.  I also think the lift and implant can be safely combined in one procedure using the vertical lollipop type scar.  The scars typically heal quite nicely with that procedure.  If perky breasts are important to you, have the lift done.  But it is important to find someone who is comfortable with the lollipop type lift, and not all surgeons are.  That way you avoid the big anchor scar.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Enlargement with or without Lift

+2

Without knowing what the look you want is, it is really impossible to advise you. If you want large full breasts with the nipple pointing forward and a nice inferior breast contour, then you need a breast lift in addition to the augmentation. Just inserting implants will not correct droop (ptosis). If you really do not care if the breast tissue looks like it is falling off over the top of the implants, you can forgo the lift. You do not have to have the two procedures at different times, however. Experienced plastic surgeons are able to do both at the same time very safely with excellent results. It does, however, take extra time and sitting you up during the procedure to get these good results. Some surgeons do not know how to do this or do not want to take the extra effort. For you, it is well worth finding someone who can do them together, as it saves you time, pain, recovery and money.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not to lift?

+2

This is a common question.  The answer depends on your personal goals.  Sure, you could have a breast augmentation and it will look good.  But you will have some residual sagging.  Must you have a lift? No.  But if you are looking for a more youthful breast shape and appearance,  a lift may help.   Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+2

A breast augmentation in cases like yours expertly performed can sometimes avoid the lift component.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast Augmentation with Lift?

+2

This can be a difficult question in patients that have some degree of drooping of their breasts as well as loss of volume.  If it is not clear whether you require a lift you could consider allowing your surgeon to make that determination in the OR after the implants have been inserted.  You could also agree to a two-step process with placement of the implants first but be certain you are willing to have the lift if the result is less than you had hoped for.  It is important to understand that placing a large implant to fill up the loose skin is not an effective way to address this issue and will likely result in a large droopy breast with stretched tissue that will be even more difficult to correct in the future.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I think you could be satisfied with a implant alone, if placed either under the gland or in a dual plane position you will get a little but not much lift

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast Implants Plus Lift Best Option To Get Perky Breasts

+1

Thank you for your question. Although simple breast augmentation with breast implants will give you fuller breasts and be quite acceptable, the fact that you want perky breasts may require a lift as well.

From your photographs you do have ptosis or sagging of the breast and to create a perky look you may well need a breast lift in addition to breast implants.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, who is experienced in cosmetic breast surgery, and has an excellent reputation and your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast lift and implants

+1

Hi   If you are trying to get a "perky" youthful look, then it seems from your photos that the best result would be achieved by doing a breast lift and an augmentation.  If you do the implants only, then you may get the appearance of a "double bubble" breast.  This is a term that essentially means that your breast tissue is not combining with your implants to give you one UNIT of breast shape.  This is all said without seeing where your crease under the breast is and how it relates to the nipple complex.  The ideal would be for the nipple complex to be more centralized on the breast mound and the implant pushing the entire shaped breast mound forward into your bra.  If  you do not need a lift as determined in a consultation, you certainly should have this discussion with your ps prior to having the procedure.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon