I have recently had problems with my nose, it seems like the bone at the centre of my nose has shifted?

The right nasal passage is nearly blocked while the left side feels like it has moved in. The only knock I can remember taking was 11 years ago, the problem has started over the last 3 months but shifted quite quickly. Is this something to be worried about?

Has the bone at the center of the nose shifted?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your nose. It is possible your septum was deviated at the time of the injury. A deviated septum can be asymptomatic. If the septum is deviated, you may experience one or more of the following side effects:

1) Difficulty breathing

2) A visible deviation from underneath the nose

3) Snoring

This is not something to worry about just yet, as the cause of the issue needs to be determined. Only an exam can tell for sure, and I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon so he or she can examine you and diagnose the issue. Thanks and good luck. 

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal problems - shifting bone?

+1

I would suggest you have a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty/ septoplasty or shifting bone

+1

A septoplasty can be performed for medical necessity when there is blockage of the nasal airflow and medical necessity has been documented. Other issues to consider are turbinate hypertrophy and valve collapse that can also cause nasal obstruction.

A rhinoplasty is considered cosmetic and can involve changing shape of the bridge, sidewalls of the nose and the tip.

For more information and examples please see the link below

+1

I think the best thing to do would be to have an exam to determine if anything has occurred or should be fixed.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.